1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you fuel up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 75, Jan 21, 2002.

1. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

The thread about "Gas mileage" got me wondering, where do you prefer to get fuel?

I opened an account at a fuel terminal here in town, so I have access 24/7 via key/card lock. It's worked out to be super convenient, since it is located on my to the industrial park where I plow. Being able to access it any time works great too since we often head out to plow/return from plowing at strange hours when many of the gas stations aren't open. (Yes we DO have 24 hour gas stations up here in Canada, but none located on my way to plow)

One bill a month, and I also notice the prices to be generally a cent or so per liter cheaper than the gas stations. "Penny saved.............." :)

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have access 24 hours a day to the pumps at the Fire Department. Everything is calculated and I pay monthly for it.

The only truck that really needs fuel during a storm is the Toyota. Fords are diesels with dual tanks. Hold lots of fuel. Plus have a transfer tank at the shop that is full for the skidsteer or to top off trucks.

During normal days though I just get the fuel at the local Mobil as there is no considerable difference in price.

3. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Shell stations using the Shell card. One monthly statement and 5% gas rebate.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Sam thing when I use my Mobil speedpass linked to American Express small business. Only problem is Mobil here selling diesel is not 24 hours.

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Main reason I got the fuel account was the convenience aspect - the price was an unexpected plus.

Actually, I came upon the place in a roundabout way: I was originally going to get a couple of fuel cards (Esso & Shell) and was doing some pipe welding work at this fuel terminal when I noticed cars/pickups etc fueling up during the day. I asked about it (I thought they dealt strictly with heating oil & bulk fuel) and learned about the fuel accounts. Decided to try it out and am quite pleased with it.

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Main reason I got the fuel account was the convenience aspect - the price was an unexpected plus.

Actually, I came upon the place in a roundabout way: I was originally going to get a couple of fuel cards (Esso & Shell) and was doing some pipe welding work at this fuel terminal when I noticed cars/pickups etc fueling up during the day. I asked about it (I thought they dealt strictly with heating oil & bulk fuel) and learned about the fuel accounts. Decided to try it out and am quite pleased with it.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

only buy my diesel and gas from mobil.

8. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Same here.... We just use the Mobil station, have an account set up with them. Works out great , because there are about 3 of them on my route, and one of them is the quick mart that we plow...

Chief Plow

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I use Mobil 99% of the time,I have the speedpass on my key rings of all the trucks,so the drivers dont need to sign anything,or use cash,I like that.They are closed from midnight until 6 am,if i need fuel then,there are 3 stations that are open all night on my route,then there's the truckstops that is open 24/7/363 days of the year,also on my route.

10. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

marathon here.......not 24 hrs.....but we keep them full all the time , usually not a problem

11. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Not a good thing. Someday, somewhere, somebody is going to raise a stink (usually a disgruntled politico) and it will not look good. Then you will be caught defending yourself unnecessarily. Esp since the fire dept fuel is not taxed.

I would suggest using public fueling stations or get your own bulk tank. Please dont be forced to learn from a mistake in this case.

12. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I usually get gas at the getty mart, or the exxon station where i work. i like to stay the same brand, even if it means paying a few cents a gallon more.

bryan

13. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

We have a 1000 gallon tank on our site. It gets filled up right before a storm if one is coming, otherwise it gets filled every two weeks. That is the ulltimate in convenience. It is also .04 cheaper a gallon than at the pump.

14. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Texaco stations here. Have 2 right up the road from me, 1 down the road about 5 miles. The 2 on the way to my route are both open 24/7. Can charge right at the pump, no signing. Then when I get the statement I can cross reference it. You should have seen them this weekend, got fueled up 3 times between Friday, and Monday. Think the were getting tired of seeing me.

15. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

On Site Diesel and Gas Storage Tanks. Our own mini gas station. Can't beat it.

Geoff

16. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I second what Bill said. I can remember this happening in a neighboring town. Not only did the vehicle owner get screwed, however because the Fire Department got a bad rep, the new trucks they wanted didn't get approved by the citizens.

The guy eventually moved way down south. Like York.

Geoff

17. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

I use Shell so I can rack up the air miles points. Also have Petro Canada cards for backup.

18. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm with Geoff

On site fuel, on-road diesel, off-road diesel (no tax), and I can't wait to hook up my new convault Gas tank. We figured out how much it seems to cost each week, month or year for the guys to pump and play at the gas stations even with the 5% rebate. Everything in house saves a lot of time, and the fuel comes with terms, so I can save a few bucks more if I pay quickly.

19. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

if you got the room much better to get fuel at your own place.Buy in bulk get better discount like Phil said if you pay fast.Then you never run out of fuel when you need it.What does one of those fuel vauls cost?? I know that they are good being double lined and able to hold inner tank failures.Do they come complete with counter and gas nozel?

20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've got my own tank and have an Agway commercial account. It runs 10 to 15 cents a gallon less than pump prices.

I gotta admit, I raised an eyebrow when I read the Fireman's post, but as I read on it sounds like the taxes are included. I do agree it could invite a lot of unneccessary trouble though, too.

My Fire Dept. gets its fuel at state bid and it is slated for use in department vehicles only. There are no taxes paid on it so using it in personal vehicles would be a violation as well. The price runs about 40 cents less than pumps.