1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where do you find your jobs

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by new guy 79, Jan 3, 2010.

1. new guy 79

new guy 79 Junior Member

Started doing snow removal this year. Right now all I'm doing is passing out flyers on mailboxes on the curb. I know worst method to picking up more work.I was wondering what are you guys doing to fnd more work? What is the most cost effective way of drumming up more business?I'm real small me ,my truck and my shovel.
  2. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

word of mouth works best. you can do newspaper ad but make it clear what heading you want it under. i did an ad n when i checked it they had put it under sewing machine repair. needless to say i didn't get many calls. LOL!
  3. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

craigslist.com is a good source for newcomers.
  4. I have never chased down a snow removal client. Every client I have/had has found me. 90% of all my business comes through my web site via google.ca searches. My website is in my signature if you want to have a peek. Its top ranked with google.ca for my business (sealing) and snow removal.
  5. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

Put your phone number on your plow. All of our trucks have our number on the plows. For some reason people notice the number on the plow more than they do on the door of our trucks.
  6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Try advertising about 4-5 months earlier in the year...
  7. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

Just so you know... stuffing flyers into mailboxes is illegal. Probably not really enforced but still could get you into trouble if it ever came to it.

Sec. 1725. Postage unpaid on deposited mail matter

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on
    which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail
    matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 784; Pub. L. 91-375, Sec. 6(j)(33), Aug. 12, 1970, 84 Stat. 780; Pub. L. 103-322, title XXXIII, Sec. 330016(1)(F), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

1994--Pub. L. 103-322 substituted ``fined under this title'' for ``fined not more than $300''.
    1970--Pub. L. 91-375 substituted ``Postal Service'' for ``Postmaster General''.
  8. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

i was wondering if a website would be a good idea for me. does anyone know the laws concerning advertising this way? like do you have to have a business license?
  9. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

a business license should've been taken care of already. legally if you dont have one and are transacting any business, your customer doesnt have to pay you for anything that you do. license, insurance which by your statements i know you dont have, some business cards, magnets for your truck, you do know its january right? i actually had good luck with the flyers i passed out, but it is a little late now. your best bet is to try to find a company that still needs a sub, and get some work in with them.
  10. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

all i do is sub at this time. am trying to get ideas for next year maybe.
  11. I cant stress enough how important a website is... I have worked very hard and long hours on mine over the years but it more than pays for itself... Look at it this way, even if you had to pay someone say $4000 for a properly designed site optimized for search engines the revenue return is soooo much more than the investment. Over the last 3 years my website has made me probably somewhere around $300,000... I designed mine myself since I did web design for 8 years prior to opening The Driveway Doctor...
  12. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

i have a tree service and i put snow removal on my yard signs and that helped but when i bought my plow i got contracts from that also.
  13. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

thanks driveway doctor! your website is pretty impressive. sure you don't want to get back into web design? LOL!
  14. new guy 79

new guy 79 Junior Member

did you do yourwebsite or did you have someone do it?
    do you pay for it?
  15. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

advertise and they will come to you.
  16. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Thats what i was thinking.. you wannan fix mine :laughing::dizzy:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  17. Powerstroke14

Powerstroke14 Junior Member
    from OHIO

Does passing out business cards help or by placing them in the peoples mailboxes?
  18. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Track your equiment. Thats something new. Nice looking web site!
  19. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Make an effort. Business cards are to hand someone once you've talked to them face to face, and introduced yourself. Like 4u2nv stated above, putting anything in or on a mailbox without postage is a federal offense and is punishable.