1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you find the deals?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Johnny V, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

I would think that winter is nearing the end and most snow equipment would go on "sale". I never owned a plow before but I just bought a new truck and will need to plow and hitch attached salter for some buildings I maintain.

Where can you find good "post seaon" sales???? The truck I bought is a 2004 diesel crew cab Ram. Looking for 8' plow and a small hitch salter.

Can I use the salter for spreading sand as well? Is this more advised then salt for parking lots and stuff?

Please help me find the deals.... :blush2:
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

try cpw or ebay sometimes
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Watch your local newspaper or a trader magazine. For a hitch mount spreader, you'll want to decide what type of material you plan to use and get a single- or two-stage spreader accordingly. For a parking lot of asphalt or concrete, you'll want to use salt rather than sand. Best would be a treated salt - such as Magic Salt.
  4. rolandpell

rolandpell Junior Member

I have 2 older style fisher plow 8 ft for sale I had them on ebay and someone won the bid and still hasn't paid . One is on a chevy with a snow foil for $800.00 complete and the other is on a Ford for $500.00 complete .
    I hope that helps , if you are intrested email me at ebaysalesrpell@verizon.net .
  5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Check with new plow dealers and also used truck dealers... Many take plows off of trucks to sell separate...

We use salt only here, small hitch mounted spreaders won't throw salt very well. ....Chuck
  6. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Why do you say they do not throw it well? I am sure they do nto compare to the real deal I am just looking to clean small lots (10-25 parking spaces) of apartment buildings. Not looking to do anything too nice like you real plowers do.

I have been keeping my eye on e-bay ect. I was just wondering if there was an unwritten rule about a time of the year to go to your local plow shop and "talk a deal" or not.

Mick (or anyone)- "treated salt" means what? Can you get it at places like Home dpot etc?

I love learning and thanks everyone.

Rolland- Looking for something local and since I am new at this want "newer" so I do not have to repair it, The building keep me very busy and do nto have time for repairs etc (hence the buying a new truck)

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Treated salt is rock salt that has been sprayed with an additive which enhances melting properties at lower tempuratures. It may also inhibit corrosiveness. Generally a treated salt will also flow through a tailgate spreader better (especially a single stage) since the treatment prevents clumping. Two brands of treatment are Caliber and Magic -0 (Magic Minus Zero). I don't think they are available at Home Depot, but there might be a distributor near you:

Hope this helps you some. As I said, if you're clearing parking areas or other paved areas, I'd suggest salt rather than sand. It'll do a better job and you won't have the cleanup problems of sand.
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Johnny V,
    Sorry I mistyped. Mini spreaders don't throw sand very well...Chuck

CHEVYPLOWDUDE Junior Member

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would think twice about throwing sand in a place you have to maintain. It makes a heck of a mess being tracked in to the buildings. The company that does snow removal at my ambulance station throws sand. We have a 1/2 inch of tracked in sand in the bays right now. The drains get clogged too, no matter how clean we keep the bays. I know it's cheaper, but you do have draw backs to it too. Cheaper not always better.
  11. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

that's my question also, if you put down sand all winter long, what do you do with all the sand in the lot after winter? Who cleans it up? when the winter is over, I have better things to do than to have to clean up sand.:confused:
  12. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Very good point.... OK I just need the salter I spoke about in my other post called "8' or 8.5'".

Thanks everyone!
  13. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

In the spring you need to buy a cheep sweeper and charge to clean it all up. Then a striper to restripe the parking places. That makes it a year round business.