1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where do you dump snow during relocation?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

we already have approvals for several sites in nj. my father used to work for the state years back and said they always dumped it in the deleware river.

i heard that a year ago there was a law that was passed prohibiting this

online, says this stopped in the 1980s lol

i was thinking a farm field or something that wouldnt matter with the piles of mounded up snow?

short of an snow melter that theyve used in cities, what else can you do with it once its loaded onto trucks?
  2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Look for a vacant commerical building in the area and contact the realtor and see if you can dump it there, or call some property managers and see if they have an area you can dump. We do this and we also pile it up at our shop.
  3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Couldent you just dump it in a river or something?
  4. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

NO call EPA on that one. ahhh i don't want too involved on this one, but check with a local dump, or gravel pit. alot of times gravel pits will have old pits they used to mine and they will let you use an area around them.

be honest with the property manager that wants you to haul it away if you do not have anywhere to take it. alot of times they do know where to take it. remember, its not the first time it has snowed there. and if they are asking, they have done it before.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I always just tailgate it back on some roads that haven't been plowed yet, lol. Most farmers don't want it in the fields due to the salt. Farmers already ***** cause they are broke, they don't want to chance salt killing out crop. However, I have two farmers that don't mind one way or another since they get paid not to plant the fields anyhow. So find something along those lines, and you should be good to go. No river dumping though the tree huggers get upset, when you kill off the alge.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Check with your town to, you may need a dumping permit.
  7. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

Got anyone who hasn't payed their bill? Lol
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Around here, we have a certain number of hours after the storm to dump in the ocean. Pretty sure it's 72 hours.
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

our city provides a place for dumping, we have 3 different sites the city has designated, and they even take care of the stacking.
  10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Ive never herd of a time limit...doesn't make sense

In this day and age dumping anything in water is illegal. Check with your town, around here you can pay to dump it at the city snow dump or find a pit or a property. If there's any water nearby you have to have a permit. In Canada the fines are harsh...
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

we have 10 acrea to dump in
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I have spot that would be a couple hours closer.

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I am sooo sure you do.....:nono:
  14. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

our county lets gives us an area to dump at the fairgrounds. each contractor gets their own area. in the spring after the melt off we have to go clean any debris carried from the lots.