1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you buy Salt by the ton?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Stormj, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Stormj

Stormj Junior Member
    from CT, USA

Hello Gentlemen,
    I would like to first point out that I am not in the "business" and not trying to steal any ones income. I am looking to salt 2+ acres of my land to naturally destroy the vegetation. I can not seem to find any place here in CT that sells salt by the ton though. My thinking is that who would know where to get salt in large quantities better than a group of snowmen. So, can any one out there advise an old fart where he can get his hands on or a delivery of a truck load of salt?

Thank you for assistance
  2. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Connecticut Is a pretty good size state.. A City would be helpful.

I did a Quick Search in google for you and these people sell salt in the winter at least... Not sure if they have any leftovers. But It wouldn't hurt to ask. I feel like Siri From the Iphone.

Soundview Landscape Supply, LLC
    50 Industry Drive
    West Haven, CT 06516

Pane Road Materials
    105 Pane Road
    Newington, CT 06111

Sls Landscape Supplies
    85 W Liberty St, Waterbury, CT 06706

East Hartford Sand
    & Gravel Inc.
    287 Strong Road
    South Windsor, CT 06074

Cheshire Stone and Supply
    600 Industrial Ave
    Cheshire, CT 06410
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you salt it as uposed to utilizing a round up spraying, of brand non selective herbicide is pretty cheap. At a general use rate of 2.5 oz per gallon/1000 ft you would need less than 2 gallons, of concentrate. I just bought a 2.5 gal jug at TSC for about $ 50
  4. Stormj

Stormj Junior Member
    from CT, USA

Thank you BigBoy, I did a google search also, but only came up with Walmart and feed stores, nothing in bulk. BTW I am in Lebanon, CT, sorry about that, but I have lived all over the place and after being in Texas, nowhere in CT seems "far" LOL.

Round up is a chemical with a unknown long term affect RLM. I know once I start landscaping the property, all I have to do is stop salting with no long term worries about what the salt will do. But thank you for your input just the same.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The salt will cause more long terms effects then the Roundup but I guess that's a whole other story. Spray a heavy does of vinegar on it, if you don't like Roundup. There's no way I'd be spreading salt on my property to kill vegetation.
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Bleach works too and its definitely cheaper than salt. Why not just rent a skid steer and clear everything? A tracked skid would make quick work of two acres.
  7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I will answer your question. Gateway terminal in new haven is the only one to have bulk this time of year. They are the bulk supplier to all the towns and state dot. You need to call to make sure its in the whole sale yard. I know they have started hauling to state and towns already. The other yard is in Hartford but i'm not sure if they are hauling as of today the salt is on site.
    sound view and Cheshire do not have any salt left.

Why not use vegetation killer like round up or are you afraid of run off and a well water?
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There is no runoff with Roundup but there is with salt.
  9. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

rent a skid and go to town. It wouldnt cost that much and would be way better in the longrun.
  10. sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier Junior Member

As for your plans to use tons of salt to kill vegetation, do not let the DEEP or even your towns enforcement officials know about those plans.

You will be fined big $$$$

Biggest one: Water quality

There are plenty of organic based vegetation management herbicides available.

There are also animals that will eat lots of vegetation also, goats, sheep, etc.
  11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

OK, I'm no fan of Monsanto, but you might just want to listen to the farmer that is giving you facts.

RoundUp may have long term effects if ingested, but it becomes 100% inert when it comes in contact with soil.

I've heard some doozies before, but this one might take the cake. This is ridiculous. And ignorant. Possibly even stupid. And will be very expensive when the gov't finds out and fines the crap out of you and makes you clean it up.
  12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

check with your local farmer or crop service co...they can advise and spray for your needs....if buying your own watch the concentration in the bottle ...the ag store will have the better stuff and not watered down like the box stores
  13. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Not incriminating myself but once upon a time, I had a good size patch of ivy/ ground cover in my front yard... I Also had a pallet of left over rock salt so I mowed the area down to the soil and threw the rock on it and watered it good once ad I will say i've never seen that ivy again! So it does work, if anyone was wondering/ questioning. :nod:

Didnt seem to hurt the soil as I have a few good-sized trees and perennials growing there now.