1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do we talk about snow blowers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ripple, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Ripple

Ripple Member

I love the plow site....just wondering where to post a thread about snow blowers?

I have a client (65 buildings) that want all small 1 car driveways done with snow blowers not plows.

What is a good snow blower?
    What is 2 stage vs single stage?
    What widths do snow blowers come in?
    How do you get them in and out of your pickup?

etc...

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

For that many drives you might be better off with something that is tractor or skid loader mounted.

3. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Correct

Sine 1994 we've been carrying a Bobcat 443 (later a 463 with a blower) IN a GM pick up. Not exactly cheap but if you have over 200 little driveways in a couple of sites, you can do a 2-3 car driveway in about a minute and a half .

How many individual drives and how many sites are they in?

4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Just get one of these and that should solve your problem!

http://www.hansonsnowblowers.com/

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

2 Stage & Single Stage

A 2 stage snow blower has an auger at the front of the blower to push the snow into the shoot and another auger in the shoot to throw it out. A single stage only has the front auger and it is usually a rubber paddle style.

Sizes

They start at 20" and go upto 45"

Truck loading

A single stage can be picked up and put in back of truck, most are 20" width.
    A 2 stage usually has to be loaded with ramps. I have a pair of 7' folding ramps.

Makes

There are quite a few good brands. Most of the larger ones have electric start.

6. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

They also make a snowblower that mounts on a truck. but it has quite a hefty pricetag. $9000 But if you have a lot of stuff to do it might be good.

frontview1.jpg

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

there has been a few posts about big truck mounted snow blower and most came to the same conclusion. not enough hp for how big it is.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Yep if you watch the video it damn near stalls out. 25hp is not enough to turn that. You need more more power. http://www.pronovost.qc.ca/videoa.html top left hand video. Thats what you need But the bi-directional is going to run you about $85K w/loader and the blower is about $15,000 when fully loaded.

9. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Back to reality

Wow..a couple of those things look like fantastic but I am guessing that you were asking about regular old walk behind snowblowers. I was searching for info as well this year as I am just going to start using a snow blower on several of my accounts. The general consensus I seemed to get from the guys and gals on here was that there were 3 main names that got the most rave reviews, those being Toro, Ariens, and Simplicity. Those seemed to be fairly close in votes, I think the Toro came out slightly ahead so that is the one I decided to go with. I got the 1028LXE it had all the features I was looking for and I thought it was a good compromise for size. I will be doing mainly driveways with it so I wanted something fairly wide but I also will have a few walks and some that take me through a fence gate so I couldn't go any bigger than that. There is a lot of plastic on the Toro as opposed to the simplicity but I am assured by the dealer here that they have had no problems with them in the 5 years they have been made that way. The chute is all plastic too and this should allow for a very low stick factor and shouldn't plug too much. The joystick style chute control is a nice design and seems like it will be great. It has "power steering" too. I don't know how much that will be worth in the thick of things but what the heck.

I didn't get to compare the Ariens as there are no dealers near me.

Hope this helps a bit.

ET

10. Ripple

Ripple Member

Snow blowers

Wow!!! Thanks for all the quick replies...

TO answer some of your questions...>>> My main focus of operation is plowing and salting. I have maybe only 2 accounts that require snow shoveling. The rest are all just push the snow and clear the lot.

But this year I was asked by an association of condos to put in a bid to SNOW BLOW 65driveways! AND yes I did ask about snow plowing, bobcat etc....They only want 24"-40" hand operated snow blowers! (obviously had problems with other methods).

So that is why I asked for some suggestions.

If I win the bid I guess I will need around 2-3 snow blowers that can handle 2 car garage driveways in Penna snow!

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I just went and bought 3 Toro Powerlite snowblowers this morning. Weigh about 30 pounds and can be lifted with one hand into the back of a truck

12. joeonthemow

joeonthemow Junior Member

I have a BuddyRamp to get my blower in and out. BuddyRamp.com -- it works quite well.

13. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

I like the toro S200s...easy to find parts and they are cheap... course I need to have 8 machines running to make sure I have 2 running at the end of a storm. LOL but I swear by them (and at them sometimes).

14. Ripple

Ripple Member

How do you run 8 snow blowers at once?:gunsfiring:

15. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

easy...

I have 2 trucks with 2 employees in each. Each guy has 2 working blowers available in case one (or other) fails (recoil breaks, fuel line fails, plug fouls, carbs puke, etc.)
    :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

16. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I just spent a lot of time looking into snowblowers. I ended up with the Ariens. I got the pro model with the cast iron case. It weighs 250 pounds, Like almost all newer snowblowers it has a differential making turning a breeze. The augar can be locked on allowing for one handed operation, the hand grips are heated, and if you run into some hard snow you can pull a trigger and get posi traction. The model # eascapes me at the moment, but I went with the 9.25 Hp with an OHV engine, not Briggs, The one that starts with a T. I can pronounce it, it is good, but I cannot spell it without cheating. Different guys like different things and have different needs. You got to go out and look, and do not buy the first thing that looks good to you. You have to go farther than Home Depot and Sears, and all those other places that cater to home owners. The blower I got, Home Depot does not carry it, and they sell Ariens. I paid the same money for a better quality in the same name by going to the local lawncare store that only sells mowers chainsaws, snowblower and alike. You got to look around.