1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where do I start?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by monte_man_79, Aug 6, 2009.

1. monte_man_79

monte_man_79 Junior Member

hey all, I'm a noob to this forum, and this is my first post. I may have not posted in the correct part of the forum, so don't hesitate to re-direct me.

I live in southeast montana, and the spring of 09 was the worst I've ever seen. (but I'm only 25) since we live on a ranch and run a feedlot, getting to our cattle is crucial. what we use currently to get snow moved is a JD telehanlder and a JD tractor w loader. whilethis works well, if you need to plow out a lane, you're quite limited in what you can do with a bucket. we also have a 1 mile gravel road coming into our place (all roads here are gravel) and we 're hoping to find somthing that would work well on that too-with the possibliity of in the future of plowing gravel county road for the county. (county plows are few and far between) to run this plow we've got a 92 international 4900 single axel truck with DT 466 engine. this is a feed truck so It's already equipped with hydraulics. the truck weighs in the range of 40,000 lbs

I was thinkin of calling the DOT to see if they'd be willing to sell me a used plow, but I'm betting thats not somthing they like to do. and you'd be suprised how hard it is to locate used truck plows (for real trucks, not pickups), even on the internet.... so, I'm looking for some direction and hope that I can find what I'm looking for..

Thanks everyone!
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Look into a blower attachment for the JD. They also make a snowplow for it, but get one on a separate frame. If you get enough county work, look into an "MC" grade plow
  3. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Mick are you talking about the Fisher MC Series? I think that plow is too light for his truck... As far as were to find a plow for your truck.... I cant really help you there. I would give Craigslist and MachineryTrader books a try, Once in a while a big enough blade comes up. Hmm, I was actually just looking around and you could take a look at this site. Im not sure if you want like a county blade or what.. http://www.henderson-mfg.com/snowplows.ASP Be sure to take pics once you get your blade all hooked up :D
  4. monte_man_79

monte_man_79 Junior Member

thanks for the helpguys! I'll see what I can get done!
  5. GK Snow Removal

GK Snow Removal Member

A plow can ruin the gravel and a blower would throw the gravel