1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do I start??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Titan User, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Titan User

Titan User Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

First post. Myself and a partner are considering a very small residental service this winter. Starting with vehicle I am looking at dozens of used, full size trucks on a daily basis however, I see several threads that mention smaller trucks and mid size SUVs. Can I get a way with a smaller, mid-size truck or SUV. I can see the advantages for turning and of course fuel economy. Thanks in advance.
  2. SLAMllc

SLAMllc Junior Member
    from CT

Don't do it. Can you get away with an suv or small truck? Maybe for today but if you are starting out fresh and purchasing a vehicle don't do it. You will beat a small vehicle within an inch of its life or kill it, and it will be worth nothing. As a business decision get a work truck. 2500 or F250 or better. Business decisions should be made to be profitable. A small vehicle might seem to save money on purchase and fuel but in a year from now add up repair and depreciation on a small vehicle used for plowing. I know around here if you tried to sell an suv with a plow no one would want it. I know you said small business, don't think like that. Go get what you need to make it worth it as far as accounts. Think "the sky is the limit" because it is. Price yourself to be competetive and impress with service. You will be surprised how plentiful work becomes and how fast. If you want it it will come, so be ready. Don't be caught with undersized tools.
  3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Yep...totally agree with that post. I started out just last year. I purchased a 3/4 ton truck and a used plow. I was fortunate, the plow was great and I bought the truck new.

Like was said...aim high. Snowplowing is a great line of work. In this area, there aren't enough plows to keep up with demand. My phone rings off the hook in the winter and I don't even plow for myself.

It's usually friends and family who know I have a plow. They tell others and others tell others....you get my point..

Finally....go overkill on your truck and equipment. Don't settle for less because you will save money NOW. It will cost you twice as much LATER!!
  4. westwind

westwind Member

HD trucks are the only way to go, IMO. Smaller vehicles will do the job, but for a limited time. You have more options with a larger vehicle as well. Suv's are tough on small driveways ie: line of sight! Good luck.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you want to make money plowing get a 3/4 ton or larger. You need a truck that can work for you. A 1/2 ton is nice for going to the cabin but they are to small to work and be profitable.
  6. MisterIceMan

MisterIceMan Junior Member

Stay away from SUVs and midsize or small trucks. Your transmission will die on you if you do something has demanding as plowing on a small truck. Keep in mind that snow plowing is WORK. SUVs and their ilk are not for work, they are for show and comfort and driving around. I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 250. Get a diesel if plan to do work for a municipality or the state.