1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where do I look for this problem?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Wrecker, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Wrecker

Wrecker Junior Member

I have a cable operated Western unit. I Replaced the solenoid and cleaned all the connections. Everything worked fine. I raised the plow 30 times with no problems. The next morning I went to raise the plow and have nothing. No clicks, no noise of any kind. All the connections still seem clean and tight. Where should I start looking?
    :confused:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Sounds electrical, maybe a fuse. Probably going to have to back track everything you did.

4. bigplow23

bigplow23 Junior Member

i had a problem just like yours on my cable operated. i replace the solenoid and clean the connections it work for a while then quite. my problem was in the joy stick contoller the wire that ran out of the controler had a a small break in it. so i replace the wire and clean the inside parsts to the cable operated joy stick and it has worked fine since

5. Wrecker

Wrecker Junior Member

Still won't work

I did both test as stated on Page 29.......Still get nothing.... How can I test to see of the motor is bad?

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Wrecker..........Run a jumper cable from the pos. battery term.
    to the power post on the plow motor. IF it works then check
    the wire from the controller and/or the solenoid.

CAUTION........Watch your toes because the blade WILL MOVE
    when you put the power too it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

7. thomason_45

thomason_45 Junior Member

yea....

I've been havin the same problem.... and ill gettin workin when i dont need then go out to use it to plow and it dont work lemme know what ur problem was and how u fixed maybe itll help me

8. Wrecker

Wrecker Junior Member

Where to look!

Found the problem. It was a defective soleniod. I replaced it again... and all is working fine now. I hate when you buy bad new parts.

:drinkup:

9. genrock

genrock Member

I have that problem with most electrical parts I buy so I make sure and keep the receipt very handy.

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS.........Make sure you use a genuine Western solenoid.

I was told you could use a ford solenoid in a pinch but not sure.

I have also read that a genuine Western solenoid is internally
    wired different than a regular ford or brand X solenoid and they
    will cause problems down the road.

It always pays to keep a spare Western solenoid handy !.......geo

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The Ford solenoid isn't really designed to be a continuous duty solenoid, whereas the Western unit was. Using the Ford solenoid for operating a plow will work, but its [the solenoid's] life will be greatly reduced.