1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where could I get custom wheels built?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Alan, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Does anybody know of a company who builds custom wheels? I'm not talking fancy looks custom here, what I want is a 19.5" rim that will bolt up to a standard 8 hole lug pattern and have the right center hole to work on Chevy axles. I need to gain tire load capacity, as there is nothing in 16" that will do what I want.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I've been searching for the same thing.Here is what I have found so far.

Try rickson truck,they do a lot of than stuff.The web address is www.ricksontruck.com.They should have them,in stock,just be prepared to pay $$$.

There is also a guy on the east coast that will build custom one off wheels,just don't have the link handy.I will see if I can dig it up.

You may also want to check out some local tire shops.There were a bunch of 19.5" wheels they used to make to fit on older chevy's.I know my tire guy got a set for his 79,but he says they are discontinued.You may be able to track some down.they were manufactured by Palmar,or Palmer,something like that.I think they were originally made to replace some of the single 19.5" wheels found on a limited run of UPS trucks.

There are also adapters available but I wouldn't recommend them.I also have links to them,just not handy,let me know if you want them too.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The place that makes them custom,any size you wish is called Stockton wheel.They will build anything.Call them,they are very helpful.Here is the website.

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

Some of the other people I spoke to were Rim-X,which I believe is a division of Accuride.They will do limited production runs,and may have,or will have soon,what you are looking for.Call them and see.They don't have a website.Here is the phone number (780) 444-8899.Ask for Al,he is the tech\R&D guy who knows all the stuff.

That's all I have for now.I have kinda put the project on hold as I may just find a few donor F550's,to swap complete axles and wheels into my trucks.

I will ask my tire guy on Monday if he can look into tracking down a few more like he got for his older Chevy.

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Alan, What are you in need of tires and wheels like that for?
    Like Wyldman said Stockton wheel will make what you want.

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Joey,

As it is now I can't load my vee box full, as I go way over the capacity of my present tires (245/75R16 E). Springs are easy to upgrade to hold the load but the tires get squirrely and the truck feels like it's on a cheap drunk. I can gain a little by going to 265 Es but not much.

However, if I could jump to 245/70R19.5 I can get way up over 4,000 lbs per tire, which would do just fine. Tire rolling radius will be greater but not very much and with the lower profile there is less sidewall flex.

This would do fine on my K3500 SRW and will also be the way I'll go on the custom plow rig I'm trying to build.

6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Alan, I thought there was a load range F tire available for 16 inch wheels. A friend of mine owns a tire wholesale co. so I will ask him.
    I can't remember which years it was available but some of the Grumman vans had 8 lug 19.5's for wheels.

Whats the custom plow rig going to be made from?

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

I just remebered,Alcoa is coming out with a new line of 19.5" wheels to fit 3/4 and one ton pickups.I know they have newer Dodge applications in SRW.I have seen the prototypes at the SEMA show.Don't know for sure what they will have in Chevy apps,but it wouldn't hurt to drop them a line to see what they have upcomming.

You can see what they have to offer now at www.alcoawheels.com

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I am also build a few custom plow rigs for next season,including the plows.I'd be quite interested in hearing,or seeing about any plans for your upcoming project.I have always been quite impressed with your trucks.

I think those Grumman wheels were the ones made by Palmar like I mentioned above.As far as I know they are obsolete,but it wouldn't hurt to check around.

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck, I am guessing none are 8 lug,sine it is a non stock application,and it would need to be custom.Being such i would expect the price to be higher on such a wheel.If they are 8 lug,and can be ordered for SRW trucks,then im getting a set. Alan I taked to 2 guys wh o have Dodges with 19.5's,they say the truck handles like a sports car,words to describe it were like its on rails.

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I would say that those are just generic pictures. If you look at the description of the application, it says "89 CHEVROLET CHEVY PICKUP" . Whether or not they are infact 10 bolt, I cannot say. However, I have not seen too many 10 bolt 'pickups'. Thats my take on that, perhaps they just use one image to display a basic idea of what the wheel looks like? Or maybe they call the 'low pro' type trucks pickups? :confused: Only one way to find out.

-John

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Looks like they may be factory replacements for the OEM 10 bolt wheel on the HD series maybe ?

If they are available in 8 bolt i'd be interested as well in getting a set at that price.

13. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I wrote to Stockton Wheel last evening and already got a response. It comes down to anything is doable if you throw enough money at it. They're talking $255 a wheel, so I think I'll explore the other places now.

Thanks for all the input!

I just checked wheels and rims.com and those are dually wheels. I am going (trying to) this route so I can stay on single wheels. Running duals would have the outside rears always treading snow. Duals would make this whole thing really easy as I could stay with 16" rubber and still have the load capacity I'm shooting for.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2003
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Alan,

I checked the tires on my equipment trailer today, they're Goodyear Unisteel 235/85/16 LTs "G" rated. They'll take 3750 lbs per tire if that helps.

15. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of tread can you get on that model tire Pelican?I'm assuming he wants someting with good traction besides just the extra capacity?Trailer tires are not usually that aggresive.

BTW,Pelican,just wasn't Mark Martins day was it:D ,sorry,just thought I'd throw that in!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2003
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the reminder, Arc Burn!:gunsfiring:

Roush definitely has a problem to correct.

This tire is an LT tire, not trailer. It says it's an all season tread, I've seen them on UPS trucks. It's probably available with other tread designs too. It's not the most aggressive tread I've seen, but with weight on it, it ought to do OK.

17. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Wheel trivia

I ran across some interesting trivia that connected with my search for a wheelwright. The following information is from "Endless Tracks in the Woods" by James Young and Jerry Budy. The book is a pictorial history of logging, with much emphasis on events leading to the development of "track laying tractors" and how it all impacted timber harvesting.

The Holt family had one of the first successful tracked tractors. When an onlooker commented that "It moves like a caterpillar", Holt used (and copyrighted) that name for his early machines. Later Holt was bought out by and merged with the Best Company and became the Caterpillar Tractor Company.

OK,, so I rambled, here's the part that I set out to relate.

In 1863, Charles Holt moved from Boston the San Francisco, where he established the Holt Co., which was in the business of importing lumber to manufacture wagons. In 1870 two bothers joined in partnership with him and it became Holt Brothers and opened a wheel factory in Concord, NH.

Wagon wheels made in the humid conditions of the Northeast did not do well when used in the dry air of the western deserts. The Holt Company found that San Francisco was not good for wheel making either, for the same reasons and in 1883 Holt Brothers opened a wheel shop in Stockton, CA. Yet another brother joined the firm at that time and moved to California to run the wheel shop which was known as the Stockton Wheel Company.

Apparently it has been a successful venture as it's still there after 120 years. I wonder if there are any Holts still involved in the business. And I'll bet they don't have much problem with wood wheels shrinking and loosening up now.

18. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

So let me get this straight......You decided to use custom wooden wheels?:D ,Just kiddin,interesting story.

19. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Alan,

Going back to a replacement tire, you might want to call Galaxy Tire. I checked on thier site, and they really don't show any custom wheels, but they do make wheels, and they have a large selection of tires. I know thier pricing is good from past experience. Maybe if you give them a call, they can get a tire with the load range you want.

Galaxy
    Tel. (781)321-3910
    www.galaxytire.com

Incidentally, they have great prices on skid loader, tractor, loader, and trailer tires and wheels too.

~Chuck

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What is the capacity of your rear axle?
    6-7000lbs? or so?
    I would much rather run a tire a bit heavy then an axle. You get too rigid a tire and the whole truck will suffer harder jolts from weights it wasn't meant to carry.

My Michelin 265-75/16's are load range E for 3415 lbs single.

How are you going to stop this truck when fully loaded?

What is your anticipate GVW going to be?

We want details!

:cool: