1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where can I get a plow from? HELP

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kg26, Jan 9, 2014.

1. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

I've been in dealerships for the past 3months and the cost of a new plow is beyond me right now. I'd like a second hand plow for a 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71. I've look on Craig's list and have seen 7'6'' Western subs for sale I like those I think they will fit my needs, as I am only doing residential and a small lot for now.

What parts will I need if I do find a plow I like on craig's list?
    1. The plow
    2. The truck mount
    3. The Wiring Harness
    4. The plow controller am I missing anything?

Another question with it being January 10, does it even make sense to buy a plow this late in the season? I've been getting by with a new 2 stage snow thrower.
  2. Martinson9

Martinson9 Senior Member

Where are you? In Minnesota we still have a lot of snow to plow. The question is, can you find any business this far into the year. In most places you would probably have a hard time finding accounts.
  3. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

In Mich, still getting calls. Do I have all the parts to the plow correct?
  4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What kind of prices are you seeing for new?

Dealers will give better prices after the season.
  5. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

6. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Seems very reasonable...and yes - you got it all...basically tell em you need EVERYTHING - Plow side & Trucks side!
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

After you buy a uses blade budget at least $1000 for wiring mount etc

New ain't so bad
  8. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

find a cheap 3/4 ton with a plow already on it and put your half ton away for the winter… you can thank me later
  9. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

10. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

It can be somewhat difficult (not impossible) to piece together everything you need, as used pieces are hard to find and the prices for new wiring/controller/mounts makes it impractical to buy a used blade. I recommend holding out until you can find a complete set-up that came off your style truck. That's what I did (ended up finding a Western Uni-Mount 7'-6" Poly in great shape for $2,500 on Craigslist), and I don't regret it at all. I spent about $100 replacing all of the hardware and some of the wiring terminals; other than that, I had every single piece that I needed to install it on my truck.

As far as your original question of where to find them... I Googled everything I could think of, and Craigslist was really the best bet. I recommend using a website called Search Tempest, as it will allow you to search all Craigslist locations within a set range, rather than you having to repeat your search on each Craigslist site.

Good luck!
  11. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Normally I would think that is a great idea however I cant help but to wonder why are the ones I am seeing for sale and we are still getting snow. Its for sale for a reason.

MNPLOWCO Senior Member

I have at Fisher MM2 with steel snow foil / new intensifier lights / 1 year old cutting edge with back drag angle iron available. Everything you need.
    1. Mount for Chev. (GMC) your year I had it on a older 2003
    2. All wiring harness's
    3. Fish Stick
    4. New motor (1 year)

All in working order. All complete. I have pics but not sure how to get them on the site.

Photos shows well. (what looks like rust on moldboard is NOT. It is just
    dirt from slop clean up. I sprayed the blade with WD as things were sticking
    as I ran out of my regular spray, so dirt had clung.

I'm in MN. so..........
    PM me and give me an email and I can send picks. Price negotiable.
    How to deliver?? If you are far away.??
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

MNPLOWCO Senior Member

7 1/2 fisher (forgot to add the length)
  14. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Pictures Fisher plow

Yeah, I'm about 700 miles away in the greater Detroit area. IF you up load them to snapfish or flikr and embed the url I could see them that way.
  15. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

your right… ideal situation is to do what i stated, but i would try not to plan using your half ton for long term… even my one tons i cringe to plow snow with and wonder what repairs i'll need before lawn season.

MNPLOWCO Senior Member

The plow is now garaged, but I can take photos from different angles if needed, it may take me a day.

Attached Files:

17. tpendagast

tpendagast Member

IF it were me, I'd rent/lease an Ag tractor and buy a Kage.
    I wouldnt put a plow on a light duty truck (anything below f450 is light duty) if I didn't absolutely have to.

at the end of the season, tractor goes away after storing Kage Box/Blade.

Get about three commercials that pay monthly no matter how much it snows (or how little) they will cover your lease payments and fixed costs.... then IF it snows any other work is set up to make you money.

That is 100% the best way to do it.

If you are hoping to "make a little money on the side" plowing... you WILL cause more damage to your truck through extensive wear and tear than you will make.... I would never buy a used plow truck, EVER... it will need around $2000 in front suspension work, if not Tcase and tranny work. It's the only reason people are selling them,
  18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Not a bad looking plow TPC.

First thing I would do, if I bought it, would be to cut off half the snow foil. Made a world of difference on my 9 footer.

19. tpendagast

tpendagast Member

I always preferred the rubber snow flap to that metal 'claw'
  20. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Wow...way to be completely useless.