1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

where can I buy solenoid

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Twolf, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Twolf

Twolf Junior Member
    from Maine

locally? auto parts store have them? I'm new to this plow thing...

thanks

2. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Solenoid for? more info..thanks

3. Twolf

Twolf Junior Member
    from Maine

speedcast, top of the electric motor. Motor all of a sudden won't work (come on) . I've checked the fuses, thinking maybe it's the solenoid. looks like a starter motor solenoid (#2 on this page)
    http://www.rustrepair.com/snow_plow_parts/onlinecat.htm?r=ds&p=sn-fisher-fi.pump
    the number on it is saw 4220
    the wire off the top of it runs to the fuse box through a switch to turn the motor on ( bad switch in the joystick was bypassed by previous owner0. How can I check the solenoid?

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A lot of part stores will have some replacement parts for plows. I have seen them at Advance and NAPA stores. Central Parts Warehouse at the top sponsor line has all kinds of parts. Search " Snow Plow Parts" on the INTERNET. Millsupply.com is another supplier that will ship parts.

5. Twolf

Twolf Junior Member
    from Maine

How can I test to see if it's the solenoid or the motor?

6. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Hard to tell in the pic if that solenoid is only 3 posts or if it has a 4th post not shown in the pic. If its a 3 post one large post should have 12 volt to the battery and the other large post goes to the motor the small post will be activated by applying 12 volts to it The solenoid will receive ground by being mounted to a grounded metal surface. If theres a 4th small post it will be for ground. Jump the small 12 volt post that gets activated with the large 12v post that gets fed by the battery.You will hear the solenoid click and have 12v output on the large post thats wired to the motor provided the solenoid is good and wired correctly. To test the motor just use a heavy gauge wire or a set of jumper cables and jump the 2 large posts now you are bypassing the solenoid and feeding current directly to the motor if wired correctly and the motor is good you will hear the motor come on.

7. Twolf

Twolf Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks...

So I tested the solenoid and it was clicking away so I assume it's good. Unfortunatly, when I jumped the large posts the motor did nothing.... What can I do now??

8. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

While the 2 large posts are jumped lightly tap on the motor with a rubber mallet and see if that causes the motor to start working.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A "clicking" solenoid does not mean it is good. You can test a solenoid with a test light and a battery.

10. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

The Mechanics guide on the Fisher website is great for all these tests. Follow it and you'll be able to track down the issue.

11. Twolf

Twolf Junior Member
    from Maine

I suppose the Mechanics guide would be great if I had a degree in electrical enginerring,

How do I test the solenoid with a test light and battery? And wouldn't jumping the terminals to energize the motor with no results point to the motor?

I appriciate all the help guys.. things was lworking then next time I was in the truck, nothing. Just doesn't make sense.

12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Just replace the solenoid, its an item unfortunately that fails over time...as someone else mentioned, many local part stores will have this on hand just match it up...very simple; I say this because you mention your not an electric engineer. so,if your close to Portland..rh scales co. inc. look'em up,guaranteed they will have your part. JMO good luck