1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you guys plugging in plows/spreaders HOT wire for the ignition turn on ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

under the passenger dash footwell or running the wire to the under the hood fuse box?

it seems ALL are hot with key off?

We have 11, 14 and a 15 Superduty and all leave ONE of the multiple boss plow relays HOT even if the controller is turned off.

After sitting for about 2 weeks OR shorter, the trucks batteries will run down to 8-10 volts rigged this way. I'd like to hook them up the right way.
  2. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

Use an ignition wire underneath the steering column.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Believe it or not they are getting picky about where you pick-up accessory 12 volt. Look under the dash where the upfitter bundle is, on some SDs there is a 10 amp keyed 12 volt. I know one year it was blue with pink stripe. There are a bunch of pass though wires there so you have to look. If you have accessory dash switches you could get power there, if not your owners manual should have the information.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I just discovered this problem a few weeks ago. My truck would be dead if it sat for about two weeks. I bought an add a circuit fuse adapter. First I had it tapped into the act up trailer lamps but that was hot when the key was off.

Today I fixed it. I thought about using number 3 upfitter switch as that's the only one open. However I just moved the add a fuse to a different spot.I found that truck power 3 fuse 10 amp will only have power with key on. If you use it don't panic it takes about 30 seconds for the power to shut off after the ignition is turned off.

Hope this helps
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks guys, it worked with the white/purple wire, the white/blue wire on a 2015 wasn't hot key on or key off or upfitters on/off so must be a ground, weird.

Glad its on right though, now i can fix our 2011 & 2014s too!
  7. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Up fitter switch number 4 turns the plow and salter on in both of our trucks. Going to the switches was the easiest for us. I kind of like it ,added security. We can flip the switch and the plow is dead.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Just installed new boss wiring harness on 2015 F 250 . Found upfitter live wires under the dash beside the emergency brake pedal . Excellent idea but would be easier if Ford would leave more than 4 inches of wire . My neck is still kinked up ....:eek: