1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where are all the 4.10 rears??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by pnoone, Dec 27, 2014.

1. pnoone

pnoone Member

Looking for a Ram 2500 gasser to plow with and also pull a bobcat. The extra towing capacity of the 4.10 rear would be ideal but they are really hard to find used. Anyone had the same frustrating experience? Is that because more guys who want extra towing capacity just move up to the 3500?
  2. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

I know with some of the new autos they don't even offer 4.10 rears anymore. I tried to option a new 5500 with them and with the asin trans it had only 3.43
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Mostly due to better mpg's. Also due to newer transmission and their gear ratios, no need for Low rear ends gears.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Buy the used truck you want and regear it.
  5. pnoone

pnoone Member

That's where my head is at now. Was hoping to avoid the trouble and expense but it seems inevitable.

Good point on newer transmissions in gear ratios. The differential is definitely only part of the equation along with gear ratios and tire size.
  6. MunozLandscape

MunozLandscape Junior Member
    from Chicago

I just purchased a new 2014 ram 5500 and it has 4.44. I think you can go as high as 4.88 gears if you you go with the max tow package.
  7. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

I have 4.10s in my 2010 2500 cummins. I also run 35" tires which helps on the highway. I get better fuel mileage as it lowers my RPMs. Plus I've deleted all emissions parts and mild tune. I average 16mpg daily driving. And highway I'm averaging 19-21mpg. Stock I never saw 14mpg.