1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Where and what did you first plow in?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by sven_502, Jun 22, 2009.

1. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Forgive me if there is one already, but I did an hour of searching (kind of veering off and reading other threads) and didnt find one. Every site needs a thread like this. The question: Where and what did you first plow in? Of course include pics if you can.

For me it was at our farm with my 88 gmc which is now gone, rusting in peace, with the 7'6 unimount thats now on my yukon. I gained a great deal of skill from driving that rig, with its bald tires and broken 4 wheel drive. And towards the end of its time no brakes either.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I started quit a while ago plowing for my dad in a spare truck. a 1988 gmc short bed short box. it was black. And it had a fisher up front. it was a great truck. my dad always took care of it he put a brand new bed on it and all new rockers cab corners and front fenders. he painted the entire truck. the thing was mint. but he sold it :-( I wish I had pic of that thing. it was a great truck.
  3. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

yeah mine was so rotten I can't believe I didnt go through the floor. What a good old truck though aside from when the starter went that 350 ran every time, didnt matter how cold or how long it sat. I still wish I had it as a lawn ornament.
  4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

ya you cant kill those old trucks. My dad had a problem once with it. He was driving it to plow the camp road and he seen smoke under the hood so he shut the key off popped the hood. and the engine was on fire. he started throwing snow on it and he got it down to where there was no more fire. And he had to have it flat bedded out. So he put a brand new gm 350 crate motor in it. the truck overall had if i believe right 275k on it but he engine had like 50k on it. but looking at the thing you would think the truck just came off the showroom.
  5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I started plowing with a 1992 Chevy S-10 Blazer and a 6'6 UniMount Western. Boy could that thing fit in tight spaces!
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My first plowing was in an 87 GMC one ton. Once you got it started, it ran great. And don't stall it, or wait for the starter to cool. Granny low 4 speed. Low was too slow, 1st was too fast. It was a friend of mines, we were plowing our church. I was hooked from the start.
  7. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Hmm I first started in a skid steer lol.
    Just playing around cause my dads friend had it back at his garage and we had got about a foot the night before and you cant beat the skid steers for maneuverability. It was awesome to push to the end of the cement pad and then pull back on the joystick and keep going and have like 13 ft piles. I wish I had a skid steer :D
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You know you might be a redneck if..... :D

I've been plowing with stuff since I was probably 4 or 5, I think I started on an atv.
  9. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Mark... All these years and still haven't bought a real truck? Perhaps you would be interested in buying some .... Built Ford Tough?
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The 6.0oh no and 6.4 mess arn't for me. If I buy a ford it's going to be a 7.3 either obs or nbs "superduty" or a ford that's going to become a Fummins in time. The late 90's 7.3 powered f350's are neat trucks, and I like the 02-03 7.3's also.

Can't decide on my next truck, Cummins (12v or CR), Dmax (lly or lbz) or PStroke (7.3)

Feel free to pm me, let's try not to kill this thread with clutter,lol.
  11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Started back in 1994. I bought a Dodge 1500 with a 7.6 Fisher plow.

Not my truck. Just using as a visual aid just in case anybody forgot what the old red Dodges looked like
  12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

at a local equipment dealership with a JCB 520 Loadall, with a snow wolf? plow. probably my favorite machine to plow with to date. lots of visibility, power, and the ability to stack high.
  13. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I used to ride with my dad nearly every storm. I think I was 9 or 10 when he let me first plow in his 82 Chevy k30 with an 8' Fisher Speedcast...lets just say I was no natural. I started plowing part-time in his 89 GMC 2500 Utility Body with an 8' Speedcast when I was 12. My older sister drove me from lot to lot and she got half...what a job.
  14. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

15. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

i started when i was like 10-11 with a skid steer after pushing poo you can push snow my dad said (well poo was edited lol) but i liked running that thing better than milking the cows i got pretty good with it and could go flying in the barn and turn it around and slid around a pole lol just something i use to do but always got yelled at cause dad thought i would hit it and from 10or 11 till i was 17 when we sold the farm pushing the barn out every other day i never once hit that pole or any thing other than a gate
  16. MJD82

MJD82 Member

two winters ago in an 89 gmc 2500 4wd worked when it felt like it 4 bald tires ,heat stuck on full blast and no exhaust from the manifolds back 7'6" uni-mount. It was a commercial truck yard in markam about 2-3 acres company rules don't shut this piece of @#$% off and dont hit anything. Good times!!!!
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Got to play around in the yard with a 2130 JD when I was 11. When I was 14 I got to help plow a shopping centre we still do today with a JD 2950 with a 9ft Frink pusher. I was on top of the world that night.
  18. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

it was a slow progression to a truck but i started when i was about 10. we'd do our drive way and the neighbors around us with our 1947 john deere A. and a back blade. Its still a tank, just dirty from sitting in the barn. then garden tractors here and there then 3-4 years ago i got to use our friends 80's chevy with a 7.5 meyers and loved plowing from that day.

truck 047.jpg
  19. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

My first plowing expieriences were in a Jeep CJ 5 with front and rear plows. Plowed the alley behind our house and plowed the church parking lot a few blocks away all before the age of 16. After that I graduated to the Jeepster. I just remeber freezing my tail off in those vehicles. Trucks today and other equipment as well are Cadilacs.

Herm Witte
  20. afalk

afalk Junior Member

1959 Farmall Cub w/6' blade and a 6' flail mower. My father bought it to haul fire wood and I used to make money. We would split it and paint it every year whether it needed it or not. I'll try and find a pic of it and post it.