Snow Plowing Forum banner

When you wear out your cutting edge...

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  basher 
#1 ·
We have a Meyer plow on which the steel cutting edge has worn uneven and thus its plowing performance is subpar. My question...Can we unbolt the plate, drill new holes, and mount it upside down? Has anyone done this before? Any reason why it wouldnt work? Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
hmmmm dont see why it wouldent work, lol give it a shot and see.worst that can happin is it sux and you end up buying a new cutting edge, best case you dont have to buy a new edge.

#3 ·
I wouldn't waste the time or the drill bits. The steel used for cutting edges is very hard. Which makes drilling it a nightmare. A new cutting edge and bolt kit is cheap enought. About $125 or so depending on where u live.

#4 ·
It's a wast of time just get a new edge.

You will notice the new edge does not make full contact with the ground as the old edge did.
Swing it all of the way to one side and take a look.

Your old edge is uneven form the truck (carton) mount being to high off of the ground or to low. Adjust it to the MFG's recommend hight.

#6 ·
last year we started using road grader cutting edges from the local county barn. i can get used ones (still have 1-2"left) for scrap metal price or i can get new ones for $50 for a 7 footer so for $150 i can have two plows replaced that are taller, thicker and much stronger that OEM.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I guess we'll just get a new edge - That is some thick metal. I was thinking of using a hydrolic punch but it is probably too thick for that too. Anybody try J.Thomas for edges?

SnoFarmer;393920 said:
You will notice the new edge does not make full contact with the ground as the old edge did.
Swing it all of the way to one side and take a look.

Your old edge is uneven form the truck (carton) mount being to high off of the ground or to low. Adjust it to the MFG's recommend hight.
Not sure what you mean here but am interested to find out. This is a Meyer plow on a '02 F250. Can't we just lower it by adjusting the chain?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.