1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When you salt...under what conditions??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by X-LOWBALLER, Jan 21, 2007.

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

I am curious to know the conditions in which you lay salt. I ALWAYS salt anything up to 2cm. After that, I plow then I salt. I am curious to know if anyone salts as much as I do. I am saying that I salt as soon as I see a dusting covering the ground. Unless there is a HUGE storm expected. I have 7 commercial properties that in the last 6 days have been salted 7 times.

2. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

Depends on the liability of the account..Most of your shopping centers, doctors offices, and/or office centers want to be salted under any slippery conditions. We usually push and salt them once accumulations hit 1 inch and anything under an inch we will just salt. Thats whats nice about all inclusive contracts, is you can use your consent wether or not it needs to be done and you do not have to worry about the account complaining about paying the bill!!!
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  3. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

b.t.w. i like your username...:)

4. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

X-low, we salted Monday day, Monday night, Tuesday morning and night, Thursday and Saturday.
    We're in Toronto as` well, and I can't remember anything like this. Our 1 inch of ice was more work than 10 inches of snow would have been. It was a nightmare.
    What part of the city are you in?
  5. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I know a lot of companies that have contracts in which they sand or salt if there is a dusting, or if it's raining and near freezing as no one wants to take any risks or chances.

I usually sand if there is a dusting, but not all my customers. Usually stores and apartment buildings or gravel/dirt roads/driveways, and private roads.
  6. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I salted here 2x a day for a week when we just got 4" of straight ice. This stuff would not go away. The bill they just got was twice what the got the weekend before for 9" of snow. I think they will understand because we have more cost involved w/ product cost.

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

I live in the Islington and 401 buildings. The Academy Place to be exact. I service the entire GTA. This is not my first year salting but it is certainly my first year billing my customers twice in one day for two days straight. I did receive calls from the property managers requesting salt. I also had to lay twice the amount of salt on the days with freezing rain.
    I am looking forward to them seeing an invoice for quadruple the monthly fee. :eek: