1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When you hear snow on the news....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 25, 2005.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When they say snow on tv do you sit and watch the weather "on the 8's"?
    Also do you take a walk around your trucks?
    Do set your alarm clock for every hour?
    Just seeing what everybody elde does.
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

They funny thing about it is right before a big snow when you "should" be resting due to the fact you will be up for the next 2 days you can't sleep because you are to pumped up :drinkup: so I end up staying awake for three days:p
  3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

i try to guess when i will need to start plowing and set the alarm for that. Then sleep.:sleeping: You know when you wake up to the sound of town trucks plowing it will be a good day.:bluebounc
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I check the National Weather Service's website, they give hourly updates on forecasts.

Then I also check Intellicasts' radars, they've got a pretty good national radar, so I can "judge" which way the storm is moving, even 100-200 miles away.

The problem with "news" forecasts, is they cover such a large area, usually 200 miles in diameter or so, at least here in MN.

With snow, you can have 2" in once location, but 5 miles any direction, you might only have flurries, if any.

Last year, St. Paul and Minneapolis had 8-12" of snow, but I live 20 miles north, and we got about 6 flurries.

So... I just watch those radars, even have it on my cell phone, in case we go out to dinner, or are other places so I can see if I have to head home early to get some sleep, which never happens, since I'm always thinking I'm going to over-sleep, and be late.
  5. grandview

Yes, Iknow what you mean when you should be sleeping you lay thinking if your alarm clock will go off or not . oh well just another part of the business .:sleeping:
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

the good old days when we got snow....!!!!!
  7. grandview

Didn't like it then,hate it now!

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What are you thinking?? If I woke up when the city trucks were going by, it would NOT be a good day
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If I hear the Town truck I missed the boat.

When I know we have to plow for sure I can get some sleep. It's the little events where the salt truck needs to go but your not sure at what time to send them. The ice events are even worse.

I'm 1 year closer to retirement.:drinkup:
  10. grandview

Must be nice to retire at 35.
  11. peterng

peterng Senior Member

hard to goto bed based on a forecast. The weather service has had some unfortunate forecasts over the years and I am quite leary of them now. That bit of a buffer is a pain for the 17 out of 20 times they are close but it has to be there. Buggers were right off on 3 events this year. When you wake up to twice as much as you were expecting it can be a handfull.

I have come to appreciate the underground weather guys. This guy used to run the local airport weather station.

come to find out there is a whole network of these amateurs. Their stations are all networked together. Their software takes information from large areas and generates forecasts that are specific to the microclimate any one broadcaster of this data existsi in.

The only liability is sometimes they require a reboot, or stations can go down. Not the mission critical hardware the bigger guys rely on.
  12. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Yes I watch local on the 8's until it annoys me.

I look over the equipment at least a day before so I know its ready.

I don't need the alarm clock I'm so high stress when I know its coming I wake up every hour anyways

I also follow the weather underground close those amateurs are better than weather.com
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I usually have a hard time going to sleep if I know I'll be up shortly to go plow. I don't know if it's excitement or dread :rolleyes:
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I automatically know their lying and will be incorrect. Therefore I do nothing.
  15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

the state plows are out by 3 so if i don't get up and hear them all is good....still a lot of time to get it done!