1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When you have a break down on the job

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by LoneWolf8o, Dec 16, 2015.

1. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

I got my 8000lt all ready to go for its first winter but just thought of something.

What do I do if I have a break down were the blade is dropped and won't go up? How do you get it in somewhat of a transportation mode to get it back to the shop to fix? I know if it was a chain lifting lowering one you would just raise it manually and take up the slack in the chain.

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

There is a hole underneath on the pull arm for a pin. I suggest you carry a ratchet scrap to pull it up as it's hard to get under there if you try to drive it up in a pile. Go out and practise...

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^ that and you can lift it with a hi-lift jack of there are no snow banks around to run it up on

4. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

That's awesome thanks guys, I will try it out before I actually have to do it, which will hopefully be never lol. I always keep a jack with me.

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Had it happen last year. Always bring my floor jack and ratchet straps just in case. Otherwise you have to ride it up into a snowpile which isnt fun

6. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Let me know if you can't find the transport pin location. On a PH2 it is near the hitch pin not the draw arm.

7. unimog-guy

unimog-guy Member

I've used a Hi-LIFT jack before with great results. You can slide it right in behind the plow and between the truck and jack the frame of the plow up enough to to insert the pin (which I always carry 2 extras). The hi-lift comes in handy for many other uses as well.

8. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

Hopefully we get signs of snow coming soon so I can hook up the plow and try to find the area you put the pin. Looking at it just sitting in driveway I can't figure it out. I'm guessing after I put it on and raise it I will see the area you guys are talking about. What size pin do I need to get by the way?

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Same pin that you use to mount plow,if you don't have an extra you can "borrow" one from the one of the mounts.

10. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

Great, I'll order one now. Thanks

11. unimog-guy

unimog-guy Member

No need to order one. You can go to tractor supply (if you have one?) and pick one up. They are the same pin that are used to connect implements to the back of a tractor. When you jack up the plow (or raise it with the hydro) get down on your hands and knees and you will see the hole that allows you to put a pin in it and the weight of the plow will be supported on the pin. I would also reccomend that you download the owners manual for your plow and read thru it. Here's a link:
    http://library.blizzardplows.com/default.asp?cat=256

If you look at the image you'll see that the pin we are talking about is in the 10'clock position from #39.

Hope this helps?

image.jpg

12. unimog-guy

unimog-guy Member

And here is a kit you can buy or do what I did and pick and choose the spare parts you want to carry with you.

image.jpg

13. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

10 o'clock position from #39 has me confused lol. 39 on diagram is lower light tower. The clrvis pin I need is #46 I'm guessing? Which is size 3/4 x 4-3/8. Which I'll get at hardware store.

14. unimog-guy

unimog-guy Member

Lol I posted the wrong plow diagram... My bad. Yes the pin you need is the same as #46.

15. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

Lol,thanks

16. LoneWolf8o

LoneWolf8o Junior Member

Wanted to say thanks everyone for the help. Put the plow on yesterday to be ready for hopefully a nice snow storm this Friday Saturday. I saw where I'm supposed to put the pin and I also bought a hi-lift jack. Never knew they weren't that much, always figured they were going to be around 2-3 hundred. I can see how versatile a hi-lift is compared to my bottle jack I always have in the truck.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016