1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When will GM beef up the Duramax Crew Cabs????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy/GMC, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

OK this is very, very disappointing news. I'm looking to up grade a to a Chevy or GMC Crew Cab HD and I want a Duramax Diesel but the dealers say NO warranty. WTF ???

Why is it that Dodge and Ford Crew cabs have that much more front axle rating then GM?

I work with a guy that has a 06 F250 crew cab power stroke that has a 5600lb front axle rating, and GM has there axle rating at 4850lbs. Dodge has there's at 5100lbs.

Right now I have a 97 GMC ext cab 1/2 ton with like 2850lbs on the front end with a Boss 7.5 STD STR POLY blade. Crazy that my old 97 1/2 ton front end will handle this but a NEW HD WON"T. What ever happened to built like a ROCK???

When is GM going to get this fixed??????
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Their IFS won't hold that weight and will break frame if overload.

That why Dodge and Ford choice solid axle for that.
  3. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

here we go again :help:
  4. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

OK what is that suppose to mean???
  5. Milwaukee

That mean everybody would talk how best or worst IFS is.

We been discussed this stuff all times. If you search IFS here you see lot threads.
  6. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

So does anyone know if GM is going to do something about weak front ends ?
  7. Milwaukee

They won't do anything
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My 02 has had a 9'2 Boss on it since the fall of 01 and I would call the IFS far from weak. I have 4 GMC 01 and up trucks and I've never had any warranty work done on any of them and 3 have desiels. My dealer has no problems with warranty work on cc dmax's but you need to get that in writing. You won't get warranty if the damage is from abuse no matter what. With a cc they assume your plowing with 6 people in the cab so that's why your front axle is overloaded.
  9. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Coud you imagine 6 people rocking back and forth, barf bags anyone?:dizzy:
  10. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Welcome to old news bud. Ford and Dodge both use a solid axle with coils. Holds alot of weight. GM uses the torsion bar IFS front. Yeah, it will hold quite a bit of weight, but with a motor that weighs a ton, and a truck that weighs over 6000 lbs easily, and then with the weight of a plow, you come very close, and if not break the GVWR (9200 lbs).

Will they fix it? Maybe. Keep your eyes open on the 2011 trucks (due sometime next year, springish I hope). There may be an upgraded and stronger front end on the way. Time will tell.
  11. Duramax101

Duramax101 Junior Member

`04 3500 with the duramax & an I-pack between bed & cab. I'm 150 lbs under the front axle rating with no plow & no passenger!! However, been running a 9' 2 Boss poly V since `04 & no problems yet except a broken camber bolt & a $115.00 cam kit took care of that. Having gussets added very soon just to be safe. It's a chassis cab but did not have them from the factory.
  12. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

I will look forward to seeing if they do up grade them for 2011.
    I hope so becuase I do not want to buy a FORD. I just don't want to Void a warranty on $45,000+ Truck I work to hard for my money.
  13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It's all about liability,plain and simple.If you only look at numbers and ignore your own common sense and what other knowledgeable,hands on people are advising you,you're probably not going to buy a GM.It's like the army's deuce and a half.Do you honestly think that massive truck can only hold 5K lbs. safely??????????????You won't be disappointed at all--you're getting a fantastic drivetrain.
  14. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hmmm. I own an '03 Duramax Crew. I don't why they still insist on the ugly ground clearance robbing frame design either. :confused: Yes, you can hide it with nerf bars. But I know it is there. I was hoping the new generation HD would redesign this.

They had it less visible on this era of 1/2 tons.
  15. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

From what I have read, the new trucks out next year are suppose to have a front axle rating of 6000lbs.
  16. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Now that's what I'm talkin aboutwesport

JRKRACE Senior Member

07 DMAX Crew Cab with a 7.5 Fisher and me not in it AND 500 lb of ballast and I'm still 300 over.

Kinda sick if you ask me....
  18. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

The new GM trucks will handle snowplows just fine. The frame will not break off. Unless the plow causes the problem, your warrenty should still cover your truck. I will keep my ifs. Ford and Dodge can have the straight axel.
  19. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

IFS design flaws known issues page 2

hi all..i would have to say way back in 1988 gm trucks designer that drew up drawing board ideas that IFS front axle front suspenion..was possible a guy that got the boot from totota that was drawing designing front suspension stuff toyota cars and previously designed them chysler torsion bars stuff..remember that wanna be 1985-86 nova-toyotas n back in 88 89 90 the dash speedo cluster looks alot like toyota...chevy ifs designed by an ol toyota/chysler torsion bar designer.. hmmm .toyota or rustotas recalled for rusted frames..inferior metal bad alloy.jap metal ....my opinion..ussmileyflag
  20. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Ok that's just it, "Unless the plow causes the problem, your warrenty SHOULD still cover your truck".. Well they won't, atleast that's what Karl Chevorlet in Ankeny Iowa is telling me who is one of the BIGGEST CHEVY dealers in the country.