1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to use skids

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by unior, Dec 13, 2015.

1. unior

unior Member

When is it a good idea to use skids on a plow? The guy I bought my plow from says they are good for pavement yet not for gravel?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I use mine as a door stop.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

We use them as anchors for buoy course during the summer.

4. unior

unior Member

Well I guess there is no point in getting my broken one welded back together then!

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I am sure someone will show up and say how wonderful they are. Be patient. :drinkup:

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Anchor for my fishing float tube.

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I just sent a pile of them to scrap heaven this fall. Tried them 30 years ago never got them to do any good.

8. unior

unior Member

Found an old post on this site...some guys are saying they keep the gravel in the driveway and outta the grass. I have a couple customers I am planning to plow for that have gravel drives.

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have tried them in the gravel - does not work. The 1/2 pipe thing works. After gravel freezes it plows just fine.

10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

When I first started I used to put them in for gravel lots but now I just bump the plow up a couple times and I'm golden

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I used a set once about 20 years ago and didn't care for them

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

A boot 460ft of my drive is gravel.
    My prarents have a gravel drive.
    A paying customer has one too.
    I just bump it up untill the edge is just off of the ground, untill it's frozen
    Then I plow it like pavement..( in float)

13. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

I guess im that guy that says they are useful sometimes when you have a hilly lane way...

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i welded my gravel pipe on them so it is removable

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Pic? Sounds interesting.

16. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I think most on here used them when they first started out trying to please that one customer. Now they figured they can do without that one complainer.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I thought you were referring to skidsteers. lol

I guess all mine have been recycled, haven't seen any around in a long time.

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The super douper yard guard.

image.jpg

19. coke813

coke813 Member

That is awesome!
    I also have a gravel driveway so I leave the shoes on. If you have to plow in early December before the ground is frozen, it does kind of help keep the blade from digging in, same for when pushing past the edge of gravel and onto the grass. Now I just drive over the first snow to pack it down and freeze into the gravel. But you will learn that the only way to keep from ruining grass is to lift up the plow when you get to the edge.
    Like others have said, after the gravel is frozen, it doesn't make a difference. You have no need for shoes on any hard surface (concrete, asphalt)

20. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

welded the shoes to the pipe

1207121409.jpg

1207121409.jpg