1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to use 4x4

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jaynen, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I tried my 4x4 out on my truck a couple times so far while driving to see if it would engage and it does so I turn it off. But I tried it today and turned to pull in my driveway and the steering went stiff. I was reading that this is the driveline binding up? I have never used 4x4 before, only used an AWD vehicle. Is it okay to drive from house to house with the 4x4 on all the time? Is there times that I should be turning the 4x4 off? Sorry for the dumb question and thanks to any responses.

2. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Some people may say different but when when I'm out plowing its on all the time unless the roads are dry or just wet

3. CGBear

CGBear Junior Member
    from Chicago

Read the book on your truck dude! If I'm out plowing the roads are plenty slick so I drive in 4x4 all the time.

4. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I almost never use it.

5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i rarely use it when driving unless its really slick out

6. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Definately read you manual's 4x4 Section. If you use it on dry pavement it will cause binding and could possibly damage the system. When you swithc into 4x4 it forces all 4 tires to turn at the exact speed. This becomes a problem when turning since the outside wheels have to travel farther which means they have to spin faster.

If you aren't on at least wet pavement leave it off. If you aren't having any traction problems without it you don't have to use it.

I use it any time there's snow on the streets.

7. deebo1133

deebo1133 Member

I agree w/above. If you have the auto 4x4 option as well that is nice for when the roads are patchy dry/icy type thing, Then it won't bind around turns either. I would not plow w/the auto though.

8. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Okay thanks for the info guys. If I have traction problems and I think that the conditions will allow my wheels to slip then i will engage the 4x4.

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Never drive your truck in 4X4 while on dry pavement. That's a sure way of grenading your components in a hurry. Rule of thumb, ballast your truck properly, if the wheels spin, it's time for 4X4.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  10. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I put 700lbs ballast in the back and if I put my snowblower in its 900lbs. The truck squats about 2-3 inches but it seems to handle the load okay.

11. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

if the roads are still covered in snow when i am out then the 4x4 stays on the whole time. If the roads are fine then i will only use it when the truck slips.

12. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I never use 4x4 unless the rear end starts to slip and slide

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

When are using 4x4 on cement or asphalt the steering is going to be stiff on a chevy or gmc. It is not made to use on pavement. But if there is snow down then it works better. B&B can explain it better then I can that is for sure, but I use 4x4 when I need it. Sometimes from job to job if the roads are in bad shape also. But with a good set of tires and a ton of salt in the back I usually can get away with 2 wheel drive most of the time on my lots. .good luck this season.

14. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I have no choice but use 4WD since my blade weighs appx 950lbs it really should be on a 3/4 or 1 ton but it plows so well can't switch blades...

15. bean7654

bean7654 Member

I have the "Auto" option in my truck. Why would you not plow with it? I wasn't planning to but now im wondering if it would be the better choice or could the risk for damage be greater using Auto?

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I only use 4WD when I need extra traction.

17. mostrowski

mostrowski Junior Member

Its generally a good idea to use it once in a while(every month or two), as it helps circulate lubricants to gears, shafts, actuators that seldom see any use.

18. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

i rarely ever use 4x4 when driving on the road and even when plowing. The only time i use it is when i get stuck or if the roads are really really bad, and i mean if they have like a foot of snow on them. Just a pain in the but to turn with it on to. plus when its in 2wd you cant eccelerate fast which makes me believe that i am less likely to slip and slid and end up hitting someone.

19. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i never lock in until my ass end starts sliding . i also have 3000# on me .

20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If I spin while I'm in 2wd drive I'll put it in 4wd. But if I'm not spining in 2wd I stay in 2wd.