1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to use 4x4?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by pfeiff, Feb 16, 2005.

1. pfeiff

pfeiff Junior Member
    from ohio

I just bought my first 4x4 truck and was wondering when to use the 4x4. I know you use it when there is snow covered/icy roads and your not suppose to turn with it on. So do you plow with it on or off since you turn sometimes when plowing?
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You can turn with it engaged. Read your owners manual. NEVER use 4x4 on dry pavement you'll damage your drivetrain (unless you have full time 4x4- not common). Some people plow with it others, like myself, only use it when 2wd won;t get me where I want to go.
  3. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I use 4x4 as soon as i start slipping. I think there's nothing more pathetic looking than a big truck, spinning its tires. But, If I can get by without it, I try to.

My step-dad (a wrecker operator) used to say... "4-wheel drive gets you twice as far into the snow/mud/woods/trail before you need to call a towtruck"
  4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

If you put at least 5 or 6 hundred pounds of ballast in the back of your truck and have good mud/snow tires you can use 2wd most of the time.
    When you drop the blade and start to push and the truck just stops, but you know you didn't hit anything, you know it's time to engage your 4wd. Like these other guys said, you use it when you need it and as soon as you can, disengage it.
  5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I plow approx 80-90% in 2 wheel drive. Unless you have ice underneath or massive quantities of snow it is not needed. With that said, I also carry salt in the back for weight and salting after plowing. I look at it this way, if you get stuck in 2wd you can put it in 4wd. If you get stuck in 4wd then you need help or worse (a wrecker) to get out. Last reason, i plow in 2wd is that is that much longer the 4wd components are going to last. I mean you should engage it in 4wd throughout the year periodically (only off-road or wet pavement) to keep everything lubricated and operating, but don't wear out the equipment if you don't have to. It is not cheap to repair whether it is brand new or older than dirt. Just my 2 cents.
  6. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Did Dodge ever offer a transfer case with a differential?

If one had a Suburban or similar in the mid '70's and +-'80's, they had permanently engaged front hubs, (capped where finger knob would be), and a differential integrated inside the tcase. Alot of people updated(?) to manual locking hubs, but of course the tcase still allowed operation of 4wd on dry surfaces. I think that the advantage was you had a "slippable" 4wd. I have a good friend that just sold his '77 Superban, (after 20 years!), and he used to describe the advantages, and how he could "bypass" the center diff. and lock into the desired range for needed traction. Seeing how most (all?) American trucks used New Process tcases, I'll bet that the NP203's, 205's, 208's and the like are somewhat interchangeable between the big 4. (Don't forget Rambler!) :gunsfiring: :nod:
  7. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Did Dodge ever offer a transfer case with a differential?

In the mid '70's to +-'80's, all(?) Suburbans and the like came with permanently locked front hubs. There was a cap over the hub, no finger knob. To cope with that, the transfer case had a center differential. This allowed one to have a "slippable" 4wd tcase. The floor lever allowed you to "lock" the tcase for serious 4wheeling. Or plowing on slippery surface that turns to dry, then snow covered etc. Like in real life, when the sun dries the pavement, but there's snow and ice to deal with a few feet away. Since New Process made all(?) transfer cases for the big 4, (don't forget Rambler!). :gunsfiring: :nono: one would think that there's a certain amount of interchangeability between TH350/400/700R4, TF727, C6 etc... Seems like the best of everything!
  8. wls

wls Senior Member

I'm in 4x4 just about as soon as I pull out of the shop.