1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to treat for ice storm?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GLOBIL, Feb 19, 2004.

1. GLOBIL

GLOBIL Junior Member

I have a question about when to treat with de-icing material. I have 8 8-unit condominium units that I just started doing snow removal on this year. For de-icing I use a chemical called Professional Ice Melt manufactured by Spring Valley. It is a combination of Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium Chlorides. (Condo owners like this material because it leaves no messy deposits and does not stain.) I have a storm coming in tonight, it is to start as rain, change to freezing rain overnight, and then to snow Friday afternoon with 1 to 2 inches possible. The ground temperature is approximately 32F. Forecast high temps are mid 30's lows are high 20's. When would be the best time to apply this material? I spent all afternoon searching this sight, but didn't find anything i thought would help. I hope I've supplied enough information and someone can give me some advice quickly. Thank you all for this great resource.
    Leon Fogeltanz
    GLOBIL Inc. Landscape Accents

2. capital

capital Senior Member

I go by the rule of thumb that if you have rain in front of an approaching event any de icing material you put down will be washed away before you get the switch over to ice / snow. In those situations it is a waiting game as you try to get in with the de icing material as the storm switchs over. We are being told only up to 1" in our area for the same event. So we will prob wait til we see the switch over then check the radars and forcast before deciding if we plow the lots or treat with de icing material or a combination of both. Use your judgement and do whats best for your client and not your pocket book.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You should start applying at the change over to sleet. The deicer should melt the remainder of your precip. If you get payed to push snow as well as deice, then wait till the precip stops, then push and deice. However you will need to be sure the slush that remains does not freeze.
    Dino

4. boehmri

boehmri Junior Member