1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to start

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by willie dexter, Dec 14, 2006.

1. willie dexter

willie dexter Member

should you wait till the storm is over or start once you get a couple inches? thanks, willie

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I put deicer down before anything starts. Then I go home & get a couple hours of sleep. When there is 2" down I start heading out to start pushing.

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Not sure where Logan Ohio is, I was from Akron area. But ideally, in a storm you wanna stay on top of things.

We start right at or just before 2" (tryin to stay close to midnight start) and hit everything once before it opens and then keep on going as long as it's snowing - this is for storms, for use that's like 10-12" and we get two or three per year it seems.

As for salt, storms like that I don't even salt, we plow a place two or three times in 24 hours, my customers just don't want that added cost, besides the salt will not keep up at the pace it can snow here. We salt after it's over as soon as possible.

4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i go out at 6'' normally

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The whole deal depends on your clients.

If I waited till 2am for 6" of snow during a 10-12" storm, my 6 hour routes would take at least 12 if not 14-15 hours to complete, therefore some of my customers wouldn't have seen a truck till noon???? That doesn't fly in the comercial world for me, heck my phone is ringing if there's more than 2 in a lot even when it snows 2 per hour.

You have to look at your clients, their wants and expectations. It's hard to gain accounts but simple to lose them...............

6. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

My contracts say that I will start plowing at my 1" trigger for the two commercial accounts I have and 2" trigger for my residential customers. In addition, my contracts say that I will have their driveways cleared within 24 hours after the snow stops falling. I don't like plowing during the day so I try to wait it out as much as possible so that I can be on the roads either late at night or early in the morning.

7. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

At this point in the season,, With NO pushes,,, By Golly I'm a gonna start plowing before the next storm!

Looks like a green Christmas for Mid Michigan! =( :angry:

That probaly means that it will start snowing SOMEDAY!!!

----> ** <---- Thats a pic of a snowman in a blizzard.:D