1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to start

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pines, Feb 2, 2004.

1. pines

pines Junior Member

Hey Guys,

I am new to plowing and have just a handful of residential accounts. In my area this evening they are calling for a winter mix (ice, sleet, snow) starting after midnight tonight continueing into tomorrow. My question is do you apply salt before midnight tonight on driveways etc. or do most of you wait to see what develops.

Thanks

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I usually wait to see what happens. A lot of the time when they call for ice then a slight warmup it never really happens,or it isnt as bas as thought.That doesnt mean it wont get very icy but i wouldnt waste the salt if its not needed.I would wait till the early am if its still icy go out and sand/salt or scrape if possible.I personally dont even sand driveways. Only ones with large hills.My commercial lots are the only thing i really deal with when ice is coming

3. pines

pines Junior Member

All lookers and no comments? Come on.

4. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

pines give the thread a chance to develop

I always wait to see what happens. It is hard to tell when there is ice & rain. Most of my residential's don't want any sanding/ salting.

5. pines

pines Junior Member

Do any of you find tha tsalt is damaging to the surrounding vegetation?

6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

It can be damaging... you just gotta be careful when you spread it.I have never had a problem with it damaging grass or vegetation.Or you can get safer brands of salt which will cost you more

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

My hilly drives get salt after cleaning. Only job that ever gets pre-treatment is one that is out of my loop. rest get it as needed....Chuck

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

in that case im just concern about my comm lots

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

relax you had just started the thread 9 mins before:rolleyes:

10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

supposed to get freezing rain/sleet in the next few hours, I am going out in 4-5 minutes......... why be out in the nasty slick weather with the rest of the darwin canadates:rolleyes: