1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to start salt/sand?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by cmac14, Nov 16, 2015.

1. cmac14

cmac14 Junior Member

Im out here in Colorado Springs,Co and we got our first nice little snow. I just scooped my driveway (so me wife can pull up the steep driveway). when should I start putting salt and ice down? P.S. I'm from Georgia so idk much about this "white gold". My neighbors asked me to do there driveways but I figured I should get some help from the experts before I start saying yes to people. Thanks
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

If this is just for yourself, just salt after you're done plowing or snowblowing or whatever you're using to remove the snow. In commercial snow removal some customers ask for pre-treating (salting) prior to the snow event, but it's kind of rare.
  3. cmac14

cmac14 Junior Member

Thanks you kindly
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

ground temp will determine the need of melter...once under 35 degrees light application is good....
  5. cmac14

cmac14 Junior Member

Thank you for the tip!