1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to start advertising?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by coalfieldslawn, Oct 18, 2015.

1. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

It might be a little early to start, but with the temperature dropping dramatically in my area. It had me thinking. When is the best time to start advertising for snow removal? I'm new to plowing this seasion so I'm still learning. I just didn't want to be the guy that waited to long and didn't want to be the annoying guy that starts way too soon. I mainly do lawn care and landscaping and already have customers that have told me when it snows to come take care of it. I'd just like to gain a little more knowledge and take in all the advice I can get. Thanks in advance!

2. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Well you are already that guy who is too late. Most start doing contracts July--September.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Yes, for commercial. Residential guys can start later because homeowners don't think about it as soon. If I were doing residential I would have started a few weeks ago, depending on where you live. OP, where do you live? What kind of plowing are you looking to do, residential or commercial, and when does it usually start snowing where you live? Need more information to give a good answer.

4. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I signed my first snow contract back in July. I really start re-upping customers around 10/15. Most of mine are commercial.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Plenty of bottom feeders looking for a plow guy,

6. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

????? Directed at me?

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

2 months ago.

8. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I think he means cheap homeowners

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

My bids go out mid August and most are signed on by mid-late Sept.

10. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

I live in eastern Kentucky. Usually won't start snowing till mid december, if it does then. Past couple years it's been January. I was just going to do residential, but have a small shopping center that I cut grass for ask me if I'd do their parking lot. So they are my only commercial.

11. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

I should get on the move then! Most people around here just never think about it and when we get a storm they freak and want it done

12. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

I feel way behind now. I'll probably start going around to a few places and cold calling people. I've not heard or seen anyone else in my area advertise. I thought I was being on time.. Thanks for the replies its help me see where I need to be right now

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I don't think that was directed to you. I think they were referring to home owners and even commercial. Bottom feeders are the ones that wait to the last minute for there advantage. Meaning waiting till the last minute trying to find the guy that has no work and beat him up from there.

I got a guy thinks when he calls at the last minute your going to jump. I have already been contacted by him no results. His son told me he told his father to get something in writing and the father told him when I say. He has 21 commercial property with lots of sidewalk.

Last year he called me three times when in trouble. I know the guy personally and he wants the upper hand all the time.I sold him out every time he called. 2 years ago he hired me on a per trip snow event. I had to make 3 trips in one day during a storm. He got mad and told me he did not need me anymore I was glad he's a bad payer.

This is a bottom feeder.

14. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

Luckily I've not missed out on a lot around here. Had a few tell me today they have already contracted. Had about half tell me they hadn't. One of them was the post office and they asked me b to bid 4 locations for them. All within 10 minutes of my house.

15. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Good for you, Sounds like a good opportunity. Get on it. Good luck

16. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

Thank you, I really appreciate it! I hope this goes as well as it seems right now. Now it's tie to do my homework and figure up what it would cost to do that job. I've got about 10 places to bid

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No it's not :drinkup:

18. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

With it being your first year, make sure your insurance already covers you and if not how much more it will be.

19. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

I started advertising beginning of September and have been ramping it up every week. I am residential only.