1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to sand/salt/mix

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cgillispn, Nov 16, 2004.

1. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

Hi, been plowing for a few years now. New to the sanding though. Under what conditions would you apply salt, sand, or a mix of both? Thanks, Craig

2. lindsayC

lindsayC Junior Member

Salt,sand &mix

Salt is a anti-icing or de-icing chemical used to keep ice from bonding or for removing ice or snow pack from a hard surface.You can put down salt when you notice ice forming and it will prevent bonding usually early in a storm,this is called anti-icing.It can also be used after your event has passed to de-ice an area. It should be noted that it takes considerably more salt to de-ice an area after ice has formed. Most DOT's are into anti-icing now because it saves money and provides a safer driving surface in a faster time.On the other hand a snowpack will de-ice well after an event as it does't have the surface bond that ice has.
    Sand is a friction reducer,it prof ides grit on a icy surface for traction.It only works well after things are plowed and ice is exposed.It doesn't work well during an event as it gets lost in the accumulating snow and does very little. In my opinion sand gives the public the security of seeing the road "Brown" but it blows off quickly and loses its effectiveness.
    Sand mixes are not a favorite of mine although many people have learned to use them affectively. I do mix about 5% salt into my sand pile to keep it from freezing up during those cold winter nights.This works well. Someone else who use mixes more than myself could post a better range of appropriate uses for mixes.
    I hope this helps.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I use a sand salt mix most of the time.After a storm during cleanups if there is heavy ice remaining i go to just salt and lay it down good.It was worked well for me this way.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just a slight correction to LindseyC's post. Although some people don't think much of sand for ice control; it is not a "friction reducer". I doubt that's what he really meant, though.

5. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I use a 80% sand 20% salt mix. Most contractors in my area use the same. I will use more salt if we get freezing rain.

6. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

That is the same mixture we use here, seems to work best for us.

7. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

When it's around 20 degrees and up, and it is supposed to stay that way, I use salt or a mix (depending on the owner of the driveway).

When it's under 20, I usually use sand. Sometimes a mix of salt as well. But anything below 10, I use just sand.

For sidewalks,
    I start salting a bit after it starts snowing. Then once the snow starts to cover the saltm I put the plow on the tractor and scrape the sidewalks while sanding. And then after the storm, I spread salt.

For ice, I use a 50/50 mix.

Sincerely,
    Jake

8. caz41

caz41 Member

New to the sanding and salting routine so this may be a dumb question, but can you get sand/salt in premixed bags, or do you need to mix it yourself?

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

If you can find it in premixed bags let me know! I havnt seen it

10. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Shopping Save (Shaws), had some last winter. It wasn't sand, it was more like tiny pieces of gravel. Worked EXCELLENT for traction. It was mostly salt, but also had that gravel.