1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to sand/salt a lot when you are making the call.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jim74, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Jim74

Jim74 Member

When you are bidding on some lots and trying to get full control of the decision on sanding,what are the factors that make you decide when to sand/salt the lots instead of waiting for property owners to call? Also do you put in the bid that I make the safety decisions,etc?

2. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

When its my decision, it really depends on when the business opens and how much snow we are going to get. If the business is closed and were getting a huge dumping of snow, ill sand only when its super slippery or just after the final scrape, otherwise its kind of a waste. If the business is open it gets sand and salt after each scrape for sure.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have a hand in the bidding or contracts, but if your the professional why are you letting someone else tell you what they think is best? what if the p.o. is "away" in sunny fl?
    from what we have,,,,its usually a zero tolerance contract, and its left to us to decide but the "managers" can call and request a service at anytime

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It really depends.

-first, you always include that the client has the option and duty to pick up the phone and tell you when to salt IN addition to when you do it yourself. Keep in mind I didn't say when NOT to.

-You have to be realistic in your applications. At an inch an hour the salt will do little good. On a day when it is like a snow fog you would probably want to salt to avoid any plowing.

-After plowing, before refreeze, before business opens, ice ....

It's all about expectation setting with the client. Then document it and stick to it in writing always.

5. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

If it's your liability on the line why would you let someone else dictate when you do your job? Even though they are making the call it's going to be your @ss hanging in the breeze if a lawsuit happens. Don't even give people the option of making the call.

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

That is not completely true.

If your contract says specifically how and when salt is to be applied then that is the deal.

Everyone is always sued. Everyone always looses. The documented expectation is what keeps the minor pain from being major lost.

The issue is always with stupid people. You can cure it or :gunsfiring: so, you mitigate it. The kicker is society is growing as a problem. Looking for the quick route, no personal responsibility, sense of entitlement ..... It's winter it is the expectation it will be snowy, slippery, dangerous .... and yet they think the property management and service folks should be standing by with a cup of coffee, red carpet and heaters to ensure their guaranteed safe travel or you get a pay day. :angry:

Clearly set expectations in writing! document, document, document.

7. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

We all have some clients that don't want salting.
    I try my best to get them to do it but if they don't I spell that out in my contracts that I am not responsible for any slip and falls due to no salting.

With the places I do salt this in my contract:

2.4 Scope of De-icing and De-icing materials of the Contractor’s choice will be applied to driveway/ parking lot, walkway, stairway and handicap access ramp areas at the discretion of the Contractor based on Exhibit A, Site description. The decision as to when and how much material is to be applied is based on many factors including but not limited to: current ground temperature, current weather forecasts from the national weather service and future weather prediction. Client is aware that weather conditions in the area may change rapidly and without notice. Changes in weather conditions are considered to be an "Act of God" and the contractor assumes no liability as such.

So I'm covered either way.

Well it stop you from being sued, Nope but it covers you in a lawsuit much better than having nothing about in your contracts.

On a side note, I took the signs off my truck because I had the word insured on them.
    $$$$$ money magnet to those who like to sue.

Redoing them and taking that word off the signs.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013