1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BossPlowGuy04, Nov 13, 2007.

1. BossPlowGuy04

BossPlowGuy04 Senior Member
    from novi Mi

hey guys how do u know when salt is nessary? like i know after every time u plow u need to salt. but what about salting when there is no snow, like if it rains over night and its close to freezing do u salt. thanks
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We always salt if there is a chance of freezing, we often pre-apply salt, especially for the bigger retail and corporate stuff, they have no issue skirting any possible liability with the small expense of salt.
  3. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

if you get out of the truck and bust your ace,you might wanna salt,just kidding you have to be up on the weather all the time,around here it can go from sixty to twenty in couple hours,that means no daytona 500,no superbowl,no bike week ?wait what am i thinking?:cry: no seriously just be on the weather when you hear thirty two degrees you should be ready to roll .also dont trust the weather people all the time,just keep eye on weather for storms rolling in or forming around you.hope this helps ya . good luck
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We do the same on our lots.

Cincy you are right about falling down.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

we salt before ,during and after . and monitor for melt and refreezing.
    i have a customer who had me salt their lot every night for a week
    even though the temps were in the 40's

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If it snows you salt......if it realy snows you plow
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

we salt everytime we plow. watch the weather, which does not always help, but if it is going to get cold and we had a little precip during the day we salt for sure. a small price for our clients to pay to save them from a huge lawsuit down the road. You can never have enough salt I tell them.