1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to replace cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bltp203, Jun 22, 2007.

1. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well I took the plunge and bought a BOSS 8' Straight Poly that was used, but in my opinion, in great shape.

However, the cutting edge is somewhat worn. There is about 1/2 inch difference in height between the center and the edges.

Just wanted to know when is it time to get a new cutting edge.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The uneven edge wear is from not adjusting the frame hight.

A little difference (1/2") between the center and the ends(corners) is not a big deal at all.

I like to install a new edge when the edge is about 2"- 3" from the moldboard.
    Get the new style edges with the curb guards there thicker and do not wear out as fast the cheep ones.
  3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Thanks SnoFarmer,

When you mean adjusting the frame height, do you mean the having the push beam at 15.5 inches like BOSS suggests, or is there some other adjustment that I am missing.
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

even keil

who ever had it before spent most of their time angled change it before it gets to the angle were the cutting edge bolts to,or it's a expensive fix when you cut through the bolt holes.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You got it. Push beam at 15.5inches.
  6. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

half an inch probably won't affect you that much right now, unless you have wings on it like I do. That can become very annoying when you see two small windrows left after each pass. But, as stated earlier, when you do replace it, check into the edge with curb guards.