1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to replace cutting edge on a 810

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by iakentdoz, Feb 3, 2008.

1. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

This is my 2nd year with he 810 and this year she is getting a workout! It seems like we get a new snow storm about every week or so. There not big one, some were only 1" or so and very fluffy snow on mostly dry pavement. So the cutting edge is getting a workout. Without looking at the manual, how much of the cutting edge should be left before it must be replaced?
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

most will say when it is within 1-2" of the main mold board

really its as soon as the edge is no longer productive...why fix something that still works?

just my .02
  3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Wish I had the same problem...........
  4. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Well, it's time then. It was about 2" a week ago, but with all the snow it's down to about 1" now and both wing cutting edges have broken. We got 6" yesterday and now look like another bigger storm in the next few days. Man, I haven't got much sleep in the last 3 days, but I'm loving it.
  5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Replace the cutting edge just before you start wearing the moulboard. With my 810 I got down to about 3.5 inches of cutting edge left when it had to be replaced.
  6. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Another consideraton is if you back drag much. I would think at least 2" below mainboard is needed if you want an effective back drag. Otherwise you could probably go down to 1" or so if you mostly forward push.

7. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, Mine got down almost to the mouldboard the first time before I changed it. I would run it pretty low. I get about 1.5 seasons out of my cutting edges.
  8. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Run it all the way down to just before the moldboard. They cost $500.00 installed. Make sure you get your moneys worth.
  9. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Exactly. If mmory serves me correctly, they are about 6" high in total and 2" of that is above the bottom of the plow - leaving 4" below. If you change it out after 2" of wear, you only used 50% of the edge. I have seen mine drop 1/2" in a week
  10. joedodge

joedodge Junior Member

my opinion

I look on the back side of the plow at how much cutting edge is left from the plow itself and using i will go until its about half an inch to a inch depending how even it is from side to side
  11. joedodge

joedodge Junior Member

another money safer for you 810 guys I went to a metal shop had them get me a cutting edge and drill the holes to match up and also had them get me 3/4 inch instead of 1/2 and I put that on the plow then put the wings out staight on a level surface then measured the wing cutting edges took my main cutting edge cut that into peaces the same as my wind edges and welded the old cutting edges to my wings just so it lined up all the way across. that saves from buying all new cutting edges and the thicker main cutting edge last longer being thicker
  12. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

If it is mild steel I wouldnt hold my breath....
  13. slade

slade Senior Member

Do you guys run shoes on your 810's. My blade was new in December and I have about 1/2" - 3/4" of cutting edge left:D I was wondering about putting the shoes back on to help with the wear on the cutting edge.
  14. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Check out www.winterequipment.com and look at the extendor for smaller trucks. These carbide pieces will give you much more edge life.