1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to replace cut edge ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ToolMaker, Mar 2, 2008.

1. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I have a 8'2'' Boss V and I wanted to know how far you should wear down the cut edge before replacing it ?
    Right now I think it is about 4'' tall , I think it was around 6'' to start with .

Thanks Steve

2. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

I would wait until it just is gone then replace it get all you can get out of them as long as its not wearing on the plow itself its good

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure when your estimating the edge life you look under the backside of the moldboard at the bottom of the center tower.

Depending on the year of your plow and the configuration of your mount height, the center tower will begin to touch the ground before the wings do as the edges wear, so base your measurement off the tower, not off the outer ends of the wings.

See many Boss Vee's with the bottom pin eye almost worn off the tower due to running the edges too long since they still appear to have life left when in fact the center tower is touching the ground.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I ended up replacing mine when I burned the bolts off plowing.:eek:

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

B&B is correct. The center hinge pin on mine hangs lower than the cutting edges when they are worn out and it caused me all kinds of grief. That is the place to watch, the center of the blade behind the edges.... that is the low point of the plow.

6. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

Thanks for the replies guy's , I checked the edge better and it is 5 '' .

The center shoe that I had all the way up is either ground off or I broke it off , so that got me looking .
    Also in the vee position the outer edges are up about 1/2 from the ground

I will run them for a while longer , maybe I will start next year with formed edges .

Thanks Steve