1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to replace blade on homesteader

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by frontierboy, Jan 14, 2008.

1. frontierboy

frontierboy Junior Member
    from ct

when do you know its time to replace the cuting blade?? How wide is it new?

2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Hi frontierboy. Since nobody has replied, I'll try and help you. Although I don't own a homesteader and I haven't ever looked at one due to it being a light duty plow, I would think it would be made basically the same as other plows. Therefore, your cutting edge should be replaced when it is even with your base angle. You surely don't need to replace a cutting edge until it isn't doing anything for you any more. To replace it sooner is just a waste of money. On the flipside, I replace cutting edges about every 3rd storm as I'm out plowing roads, parking lots, etc. for the duration of each storm and a long cleanup after and I wear a cutting edge very fast due to the amount of hours that my plow is on the ground pushing snow & slush. Don't be afraid to bring your plow to your dealer. He can tell you if it's time to replace the cutting edge.

3. frontierboy

frontierboy Junior Member
    from ct

thanks chris for the info, ill bring it down to the dealer friday..

4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

aren't cutting edges reversible?? on the fishers.