1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to Renew contracts?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Sno4U, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

When is the best time to renew snowplowing contracts. We have many different customers. Some are plowing, some are lawn maint. some are both.
    Do you renew at the end of the plowing season (in Spring) or wait till Fall so that any memories of poor service subside?
  2. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

Why would there be poor service?
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've already started. I don't use written contracts - around here your word is better than any piece of paper. But I asked customer who was new this year if I could plan on it again next year. Got an affirmative answer and to plan on some more from his neighborhood.
  4. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

hate to put it this way, but if you are offering poor service than you better get them to sign now before they have a chance to find someone that will give them great service.I hope that is not the case! But yes, now is the time to start signing contracts for next year while it is still on their mind. Or you can set them up with a service agreement that is ongoing from year to year and just send them a letter before the beginning of the season of any price/ service changes. That way they know they are taken care of when that first early snow fall comes. Just remember, if you give them great service they will have no reason to change contractors.
    payup payup
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Here, no one even thinks about snow contracts until june-august. Usually with my landscape customers, they sign with me in september. But it probably differs from area to area. When its spring, only thing people think of is green grass and flowers, not their snow contract. They dont even want to hear the word "snow" at all now. If I were to try t oresign contracts for snowplowing now, I think I would either have doors slammed in my face or shot:p And it is not because of poor service either.
  6. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

i just do the verbal thing. let them dump me if they are not happy with my service. that way its less of a head ache. i had one person dump me this last storm. "i hear there is another storm coming...please remove us from your list. we have made other arrangements." this lady only paid $40 per time and expected to be done by 7am. so her husband and son could get there cars out. i charged them $70 on the storm prior. and hit it at 6pm hence the dump:salute: thank you ma'am i mean really at 6 am i'm doing commercial jobs. my commercial jobs have a verbal as well. 5 years and still no problems
  7. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I was really kinda throwin' that "poor service" thing in there as a joke. What I'm more less gettin' at w/ the comment is before some one else comes in there and snatches the acct. (pretty competitive around here), or they remember that one time you couldn't have the acct. done by 7am (just b/c we got trigger depth at 6:30am and its a 3 hr job?!). Ya know. More of the question is: when is the best time to renew? At the end of current season or just prior to the upcoming season?
  8. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

anytime then....sooner the better[​IMG]