1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forrpets, Nov 14, 2006.

1. forrpets

forrpets Junior Member

HI,
    If I am plowing and shoveling a commercial parking lot where employee cars stay all day and other client cars go in and out all day: I go in and plow at 5 AM. But what if it just keeps snowing all day or even all day for days. Do I keep going there throughout the day to keep up on it? That would get expensive for the people paying me. Any suggestions or info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

2. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

what get really expensive is when you only plow once and someone slips and falls on your lot because it wasnt clear. snow although it happens every year is considered an emergency situation. If your basement was flooding would you pay someone to pump it once a day and then let the water keep rising the rest of the day because it could get expensive? Snow is a liability!!! It is cheaper to pay the plow guy than it is to pay for a lawsuit and a lawyer

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I put in all of my contacts "We will return to plow the lot when snow accumulates 1-2 inches for public safety." Usually makes everyone happy, except gas stations, where I spread de-icer whenever snow is starting to accumulate. Just think of it this way, your not controlling the amount of snow, your just clearing it....

4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Personally I always just ask the client in this kind of situation what they would like. I would find out what level of service they want upfront and then price it accordingly. If they are paying per time as it sounds like from your post then just ask them at what snow depth they would like you to restart the plowing. Then put it in your contract. This way you are providing the service that they requested.

5. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I would keep going there Thur the day and try to keep up with it not just for the liability. It is not as hard on the equipment to push 2 inches instead of 12 inches. Your client will most likely recommend you for other jobs if you show up a few times Thur a storm instead of at the end of it. And the people going to that clients place of business may ask WHO PLOWS FOR THEM? So they can call you.payup

6. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thats why I always say to bid ::::: Hourly:::::: Keeps everyone honest.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Except you'llnever be rewarded for efficiency. And it doesn't keep everybody honest, because I could put a guy in a truck and just move a pile of snow back and forth all day and never get the job done. Or he could go sleep in a corner for an hour. Or I could 'ghost' a truck on the lot.

jhook is correct. Ask the customer what they expect. If they don't want you to plow during the day, make sure that is in your contract that THEY sign so the liability reverts back to them if there is a slip and fall. Just like if a customer doesn't want salt, that is their choice, but then the liability is with them.

8. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

when to plow?

I plow when the trigger Is reached
    I know Its funny some times...the customer will ask you what time you will be there In the morning:) ...It depends when the snow flys...It could start snowing @ 10 am.
    A lot of customers think it only snows at night...If Its storming, I plow with the storm...You may have to hit the same route 3 times...and yes the per push customers get billed for each visit.
    Its very Important to have all these details... trigger etc, in your contract.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Not For Fun

IM GUESSING THAT YOUR NOT PLOWING JUST FOR FUN. THAT BEING SAID THIS IS A BUSINESS WHILE YOU CANT KEEP CUSTOMERS BY OVER CHARGING YOU CAN BE A PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS PERSON AND TAKE CARE OF THEM MAYBE JUST GIVE THE A LITTLE DISCOUNT IF YOU REALLY HAVE TO KEEP GOING BACK A LOT.payup