1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When To Plow

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by 32vld, Dec 31, 2015.

1. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I just did my first air plowing. I drove home with my new plow, Meyer 6'8" on my 2005 TJ Unlimited.

I have one 50' x 50' parking lot at a thrift store/charity that is not open every day and does not open that early. The rest are driveways that I do not see them being a problem except for one.

The problem one is a single lane driveway is very steep, a 15% grade, over 100' long, road surface is about 2' lower then the adjacent ground on both sides of the driveway at a 45 degree angle, until you get to the top of the property where it levels out on front of a 2 car garage.

Now I have done all of my customers for 9 years using 2 stage snow blowers. My customers have no problem with me waiting for the snow to stop before I start my route.

So whether it snowed 2" or 24" I would do them once after the storm ended.

So my concerns are can I still service the properties waiting till the snow stops, and how best to handle that very steep driveway.

The plow dealer said to back up that driveway in case I can not make it up to the top and the Jeep will be able to push down hill better and with the lower end cleared it will make backing all the way to the top easier.

Another general question is how many parallel passes can I make trying to plow row the snow to one side?

Any if you plowsite members have any other suggestions to share for I know I am sure that I have not anticipated everything.

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Big storms I try to do everything every 4" at maximum, easier on equipment, but I also do commercial. I'm sure your thrift store will want at least every 6" cleared off.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Remember a plow is not a snowblower.
    Your not gunna be productive plowing 24"
    Your going to have to set an inch mark where you start making your rounds.

4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What is a good inch mark to start at?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

IMO....2-4
    Your not pushing your truck hard, and you can still "see" obstacles.

6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Yes best to see where the curbs and things are before the snow depth makes it hard to see the obstacles.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You got some pretty good answers to a similar question in this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=163631.
    There is no definitive answer to you're questions, weather conditions / moisture content are the biggest variable, operator ability is also a big variable.
    From reading the threads you've posted aboot what plow to buy through this one you seem to have little to zero experience running a plow. Once you had some time using it you'll understand what the limitations of you and you're rig are. Until then take what you hear/read with a grain of salt, don't treat it as gospel, play it safe and build from your personal experience.
    Good luck and happy new year:drinkup:

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Pictures of the steep driveway, or an address so we can see an aerial view of it would help as well.

9. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

From the picture it doesn't look that steep to me, but pictures can be deceiving. Even if it's not that steep I'd still drive up it (forwards if you can and there's room to turn around at the top) and push down. Looks like there's plenty of room at the bottom to stack and push back.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The steepness of the drive isn't too bad, the killer is going to be it's below grade and no place to push back the snow / windrows (yellow dash lines). It'd be nice if it opened up on top so you have a place to put snow. If is does great if not you're going to want to think aboot pushing the plié back as far as you can at the bottom of the drive (red dash lines). Since you've been using a blower you need to think aboot where to put snow.
    If you find yourself not being able to push up with the blade down try raising it a few inches and taking a lighter bite to punch through it. Also it wind is an issue that driveway looks like it'd drift in pretty easy. I think you'll have your hand full if you let more than 4-5" of your typical wet east coast snow stack up.

dw.jpg

12. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

First happy New Year.

I used google earth to get the height and length then found a site that would compute the grade, it was a 15 percent grade.

That driveway is so steep that it is almost impossible to walk up because your feet just want to slip out from underneath you. The old lady slipped and fell trying to walk down that driveway to get her mail when I got done. Lucky she only hurt her pride. She had corkers on her shoes/boots and she still lost her grip. So from that time I always bring their mail up when I am done.

Towards the end of the season her husband gave me a set of new corkers.

13. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

In real life there is not much room to push the snow on the bottom right side. However there is plenty of room on the left side. For some reason the end of the driveway is extra wide on the left side.

Thanks for the help. Sleep time now.

14. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If you have used a snowblower on this driveway in the past, then you could simply continue to use it on this "sunken" part of the driveway. I'd think that it would fill in real quick when you have blowing and drifting. If it were me, rather than windrowing in this section, I'd try to push as much as possible to one end of the driveway or the other so as to save space to put snow if you end up with a storm. You could also windrow and then just bring in your snowblower if necessary to blow the piles back.

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yea put it in "R" (Retreat) to top then hammer down in "D" (Dozer) mode after you pushed off the apron into the shoulders. You made want to try pushing up on angle left and right til traction is lost.

It does look steep and considering the lightweight Jeep, all the weight will be on the front axle, use it to ur advantage backing up.

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I would go get a snow blower for that drive. you cant put any snow on the sides so all of it has to go to the bottom. you will have to make a pile at the bottom then manuver the jeep around to (without getting stuck on your piles) to push the snow to the side.... repeat untill all the snow that is on the drive has been moved to the bottom and then moved to the side.

17. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

That driveway is so steep that the blower the wheels did not have much traction so I would have to keep pushing on the blower to help get it up the hill.

Also with the angle so steep the balance of the blower was thrown off so the front end had a tendency to lift and the blower would not scrape well. So the blower wheels would just spin and the blower would stop moving forward.

So I had to lean in to the blower to make the blower move forward while at the same time lifting up on the handles so the front of the blower would stay down and scrap the driveway clean.

No more blower on this driveway anymore if I can help it.

Though a good thing is that the top of the driveway is two car wide and level with no curb so I can push snow onto the lawn if needed.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  18. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

Depending on the type of snow falling, 2"-6". Last year I pushed around 6" of fluffy and it was starting to strain. I probably could have done 7" of the same but then I'd just be beating up on the rig.

I'd say on flat lands you could delay to the higher snowfall, but for that steep driveway, you're better off keeping to the low end, especially the first couple of times until you get a few runs under your belt.

19. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

If it's that steep you could get some chains to throw on.
    I have one driveway in particular that is wicked steep and a pita.
    I always do it last because if something goes wrong on it I have done all my other work already.

20. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What size plow are you running? Icon photo to small for me to make out what Jeep you're running.