1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by finnertyd, Dec 10, 2011.

1. finnertyd

finnertyd Junior Member
    from WNY

stupid question but just starting out...when do you plow? so if customer has car in drive somewhere. you come by before they go to work to open up drive so they can go to work? then do you come back again to clean out rest of drive when they are gone (before they get home?) do you charge twice for this? also when plowing a drive where there is an elevation difference from the drive entrance the road do you keep the plow up a little when driving in or does the plow float over these differences? on a standard driveway with a garage at the end how would you go about plowing it? angle plow to side to get to garage...then back drag away from garage door? thanks for any advice.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

there ar lots of ways to charge there is no one correct way. some places are all contract some are pur push

I provide a path from the garage to the street by 7:AM or 5:pM I start at 2", I do the clean up when the storm is over. I have seasonal contracts OR they pay by the inch with a minemun charge of 6"

Example a drive is $40 I charge 40 if the storm is 2" I charge 40 if the storm is 6" at 8' the bill would be $53.33 = (40/6)*8

Thats how I do it , you dont like that way, that you dont have to do it that way.
  3. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

I will always make sure to have a clear path in and out of the Driveway by 7am and 4pm. I will do cleanup after my Commercial lots are done. Everytime my plow touched their drive it is a flat charge. Many of my residential drives are on contracts that way and the rest are a on call of $50 per push.
    As far as driveway to road differences my plow floats and contours to the surface. Not sure what plow you are using but just let it float and don't charge full throttle into it.
    With the garage at the end, if there is enough room to move snow to one side or the other move as much of it that way as possible then backdrag away from the door.
    A lot of it will come with experience and pre-snow planning on the driveways. Talk to the customers also and ask them if they have a prefference of where they would like the snow to be pilled or not pilled.

Good luck this season and just take your time and have fun.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just curious, but what would you of done if Don Paul was right about 8 inches of snow we were suppose to get? Sounds like the only way your going to learn is when we get bombed on. If your plowing up go slow the plow will float over the peak of the approach and drive. Plow some of the snow off to the sides then back drag the rest so your not packing it down.
  5. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

All my houses are by contract. They pay a flat fee for the season.
    If there is a car in the driveway i drop the plow as close to it i can and just back drag it out. Then leave.

If they call me I will prob. come back no charge for the first or second time. After that i start charging.
    And i come back on my own time, if not in the area!
  6. Luis@ NJ

Luis@ NJ Member

All depends some of my jobs are every inch like walgreen's stores i plow, then the drives i mostly due towards the end of the storm. I say that now but i run around like a chicken when its snowing hard haha have a good winter.
  7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I always go back around until its clear especially if no more snow is forcast for a few days. If theses are "Your Properties" that "Your Responsible" to keep looking good, then you don't want them looking worse than the one's next door for several days unless your charging a minimum and the owner's don't care-Most that have the service do care.