1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to plow a driveway.....

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by JeffNY, Nov 10, 2006.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Im going to have a few residential accounts this year, any plowing is going to have to be done before 6am, so say it snows from 2am-5am, do you try to plow around cars in the driveway, or do you wait till they go to work and hit em or do you get what you can, then go back again later to finish it up?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Everybody is different. But, for me, I only have one that needs to be out by a certain time. They park in a corner of their lot. I plow around the car so they can get out. I don't go back. If they want that spot cleaned, they park in a different corner the next time. Been doing this one for three or four years and they seem happy. But partly it might be that there is no other plow guy who they can get at that time.
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

The ones to really ask this question are your customers. Some will want you to clear the drive before they go to work so they can get out easily, others (like me) may have a sloped driveway so its easy to get out in the snow, but hard to get back in and they will want you to wait till the drive is empty of cars so you can do a more thorough job with one visit...I assume you would charge for two visits if you cleared them before they went to work and then again to clean up...I would expect to pay double for that option as a consumer, you should make sure they know the convenience will be reflected in their bill.
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

90% of the people who leave their cars in the driveway are about the same...i plow best i can around them and shovel a quick path to their doors. Everybody likes that.