1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to offer service?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Jan 23, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

We knocked on lots a doors and got lots a biz after it had snowed about 3-4 inches. And it was easy $. But in places it snows all day and night do u have to wait 'til it stops b4 u can expect to get much biz clearing drive ways or should u go ahead and ask em after it gets like 3-4 inches? Just wondering what u experienced guys think about that. I wonder what the percentage drop would be. I mean if u are soliciting service during a snow storm but yet when the snow is already 3, 4, or 5 inches vs the next day after it's already piled on that to make it 5, 6, 7, inches or more?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I get new customers during the fall before it starts snowing. Any customers after that call me and I'll decide if I can fit them onto the route. If it's a one-time thing, they'll have to wait till I'm done with my route.

Do you have any repeat business or do you just go around for new customers every time it snows?

3. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I'm hoping to get some by giving my card out and also making note of addresses in hopes that they'll do biz with me again. It was my first day on Sunday. I'm hoping we get a lot more snow here but it looks like it will be pretty dry the next 10 days. I'm about to go up to go up further north. Cause I need some $ now and it ain't cuttin' it here. I know it will be expensive for the trip and motel, but with my friend and I working as a team, I'm hoping to at least come back with something. I love to travel anyway so, we'll see. Some say I'm crazy but oh well.

4. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

generally people want to wait till its done, plus who wants to have someone knocking on their door during the night.

5. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Do you ask them in case of another snow event if they would like for you to come back and service them again so that they dont have to worry about it Give them a 2 trigger UPSELL with salt only so no one gets hurt on their property state of mind. Just my 2 cents worth.

6. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

So are u saying to offer service in the middle of the snow, do it once for say $10-20 and then put salt down, and then say that I'll come back the next day and do it again for another $10-20? I just don't want to have to do the same driveway twice for only $10 ( for a small one ) or $20 ( for a mid to long one)!! But when u say "upsell" that leads me to believe you're meaning that I request payment for each day which would make sense, because of how it's twice the work involved. Laying salt of course would make it easier on the 2nd day though, I'm sure xysport

7. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

thanks

Oh, by the way, THANKS guys for the advice and stuff! I'm still very new to this and don't want to go all the way to Grand Rapids MI for nothing. It's snowing quite a lot for the next 10 days it looks like though. I'm just trying to survive so I can do my music career.
    Ya'll can check out my page on MYSPACE. It's at http://www.myspace.com/alonzoe1
    ;) or my website which is www.alonzoe.com

8. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Grand Rapids snow and when to offer service

Oh sure. I wouldn't want anyone knocking on my door either ( in the middle of the night). I don't do that. But what if the snowfall lasts for several days ( 4-5 even ). As in Grand Rapids. Do u offer service at different points; at 4 inches then again at another 4? Or do u wait 'til it's 6 inches then another six? I'm just wondering. Cause G.R. get's like 80 inches a year ( 4x as much as my city of Indpls per year )! So I mean, would people really want to wait 'til it's like 8 or 10 inches b4 they'd pay to have it cleared? It looks like by the end of this week or Sunday, G.R. is going to have like 10 or more inches accumulated for sure cause it's snowing damn near every day and night for the next 10 days!

9. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

OLDSCHOOL
    What I am saying is if you are just plowing Mr smith driveway you plow for him regularly.
    You go to his neighbor house KNOCK they say yeah go for it. You get done and tell them I am doing your neighbor Mr Smith every Snow event at a 2" trigger. Would you like me to do yours when I come to Mr Smith next time. Plus I can come out for salting only if we get less It would make your walkways safer. Blah Blah Ect Ect. You then have a 2" tigger snow fall and if you just get a one inch dusting you still make payup for salting.Hope that helps out.
    :salute:
    Josh

10. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

when 2 go

Ok, I hear u. THat's a very good speal u got there! I just wonder how it's going to be in Grand Rapids. Never been there b4. It's supposed to snow for like 5-7 days straight.
    So should I go out in the midst of it and solicite for service or wait?

11. Mick

from Maine

Ok. I have to tell you. I've been trying to figure this out over several threads. You're going to go to Grand Rapids, where you have never been before, start knocking on doors in some neighborhood where you've never been and are using a shovel? You have no idea where to even start? You'll be lucky if they don't call the cops. I just don't think this is a good idea. At least stick with your own neighborhood where you at least know your way around.

12. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I agree with Mick.Oldschool I can get you signed up with a guy in Indy that you can go do sidewals downtown for him for 20 to 25 dollars a hour.I haven't talked to him in a while but he has a big operation and is always looking for help.You could bring 2 or 3 guys pay them 15 dollars a hour and then you would be up to 40 or 50 dollars a hour.PM me if you want his name and number.

RCGM
    Brad

13. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

The thing is, there's no snow here in INDY. No snow, no snow removal biz! But I would like that info just in case.

14. Mick

from Maine

Ok, let's think about this. According to Weatherbase, Indianapolis averages 22" of snow annually - Grand Rapids averages 71". There is 293 miles from Indianapolis to Grand Rapids. You're going to be much farther ahead to market yourself at home. Get a few accounts in your neighborhood and go from there. That would be like me going to Boston on the premise that there are more people there. It'd be a waste of time, gas and everything else.

If there really were no snow in your area, then get into a different line of work.

15. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Sometimes u have to go where the work is if u like what ur doing. Sometimes u have to go on tour and so that's what I'm doing. If I don't make enough to justify staying then I still have a house ( thank God ) to come back to. But I've got enough saved up to cover my expenses either way.