1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to load sand or salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by coops784, Dec 13, 2010.

1. coops784

coops784 Junior Member
    from Boston

I have a newbie question...first year sanding and I'm wondering when to load my sander when facing different storm scenarios. I only have a garage and office and no yard to store material. I was wondering if its bad for the material to sit in my sander overnight or longer? I.E. perhaps facing a storm on Sunday and I can only get material Friday afternoon? Had the idea of picking up 3-4 tons and storing it in one of my trucks, as I have the ability to dump and load it into my sander at my shop. I've been told not put it my sander til I'm ready to plow and I've been told it hardly ever causes a problem loading up early. I only have three sanding accounts so one load during a normal 3-6" storm will be sufficient. Any thoughts or input would be great.
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

salt and sand

If you can dump it inside where its warm you will be better off as it is a moisture magnet.
    just be sure to have a supply of windsheild washer fluid handy to pour on the sand and salt to keep it flowing.
  3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

As soon as possible dump it out of the truck. Then keep it covered with tarps. When you go to load it in you're sander, turn it over a few times with you're loader to break up any clumps. Never leave any in the sander, it will freeze up and you may have to unload it by hand if it does, unless you can get it into a shop to thaw it out.
  4. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

If your running mix there shouldn't be any problems with it freezing. If its straight sand, load up before you need to spread. It will freeze. Same with straight salt. Don't leave it in the sander. It will be one big block of salt. It sucks to chisel frozen salt out of the spreader.
  5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I disagree. A salt/sand mix will freeze. I have experienced it. Everything from a few % of salt in sand, to a 50/50 mix.
  6. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I've been running mix since 1997 and haven't had a load freeze. It doesn't get super cold around here. So that has a lot to do with it. Now that we mix our own, we empty the spreaders out after every event.
  7. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

does that really work? never heard of that but it makes sense.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have never had a mix freeze either and it gets damn cold here
  9. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

You can load up whenever you want if you could just keep that single truck in your garage if its heated to a certain temp. Problem solved. Make room for the truck!
  10. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

You can load early if you want, or you can load right before thew storm. Salt freezes up when mositure forms. If your truck is parked in a heated garage, make sure its always parked in that garage. If its parked outside makesure its always parked outside. We run two big salters and have had them fully loaded in a heated garage for the past week with out running them, weve done this in the past and havent had any problems. We have also stored the trucks fully loaded outside for multiple days without any problems. Lots of contractors do that around here.

Like I said, you only run into problems if you keep moving it from a heated to unheated place and start to form condensation on the inside. If you store it outside just make sure to put the cover on and youll be fine.