1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to go out?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mikekle, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mikekle

mikekle Junior Member

I had very good response to my residential plowing letter to my lawn care clients, The only thing I am not real sure on is the amount of snow before you go out plowing, I was thinking somewhere around 2" What is your alls minimum before you go out?Thanks.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

In KY don't the state close down if there's more then 2 inches of snow on the ground?:D For driveways I use to go out at 3 and commercials 2.Or if it's a small snow fall you maybe able to go out after it stops snowing.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Depends... I start at 2" unless the drive gets lots of sun then 3" some customers 1"

4. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

2-3" is your best bet
    :drinkup::drinkup:

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Depends on what your customer wants but generally around 2".

6. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

For residential accounts, it depends on the storm. When the accumulation occurs and how much is expected generally drives when I start out. I generally like to keep accumulations to between 6" and 8", so if we are getting a small storm that should only total 6" - 8" then I generally wait until the snow stops before I head out. If the snow accumulates overnight, I usually start out around 3 or 4 am so I can get most of my "before 7" drives cleared once and then play it by ear depending on total accumulations.

7. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

a min of 2'' has to fall for me to being plowing or even consider it.

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I usualy go out when there is around 4'' or when ever the customer wants me to.

9. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

2 for residential and 1/2 for commercials

10. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i dont do any residential but for commercial its 1 and i leave whens theres about 1/2 on the ground

11. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I think the answer depends a lot on what your customers want. Im "assuming" that in KY they probably get a little more nervous then they people in my area do when it starts snowing. Most of my customers dont want to see or hear me unless there is 4" on the ground. And if I know the storm is only going to drop 6-7 then I wait until its over. But like I said, I think it will all depend on your customers.

:salute:

12. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

all commercial is 1", residential is mostly when the storm is done...unless we get more then 6"

13. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

R we talking trigger or intervals?

If trigger - approx 1/2 - 1"
    If intervals - when the snow is to exceed 5 - 6"

C.

14. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I start plowing at an inch or even less sometimes.

15. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

2".....no service for less than that..... >2" - 6" - 1X base charge......>6" - 12" 2x the base charge

16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I tell my customers 2-3 inches I start "thats when it starts getting slick" and "thats when the dpw will start plowing in driveways" . I also tell them full price per plowing. So pretty much whenever I feel like it. They dont complain if they only get charged once. Two calls from any customers and I start plowing even if its going to rain and wash it all away. Majority rules I say. For snow plowing majority is one or two :)

17. Griffinlc

Griffinlc Junior Member

I debate this with my buddies all winter long. I have come to the conclusion that it is entirely relative to how you price your jobs. Or what you agreed to in contract( those are a no brainer). I prefer not doing the route repeatedly unless it compensates appropriately. So for the way I charge my customers it ends up being a judgment call based upon traffic conditions and the weather forecast( how much snow expected, accumulation per hr. and when is it gonna stop falling) . My pricing is based on increments of the "pissnmoan" factor. How many inches will it take for the shovelers to start to piss and moan. How many in a driveway before the customers piss and moan. What is the minimum they will pay for without pissin and moanen. How many hours of sleeplessness can I endure without pissin and moanen ( and getting a divorce). Etc Etc....

18. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

2 and im rolling!:gunsfiring:

19. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Classic! That pretty much describes how a lot of us plow snow I think. Most of us probably could not have explained it quite so clearly, however. Thanks.