1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to change tran fluid,axle oil

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flykelley, Jan 31, 2004.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok Guys
    This is the first year plowing with my new truck,should I change the tran fluid after the snowplowing season is over with?

Also what about the axle lube both front and rear?

The truck is a 2001 Chev 3/4 HD with 5000 miles on it.

Also do you do anything with the plow itself,change fluid grease etc,the plow is a curtis pro 3000

Regards Mike
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

curtis 3000 nice choice!!! They say to cahnge transmission fluid often if you plow alot. I change it before and after each snow season sometimes more. pull up the trans. dipstick and smell the fluid, if it smells burnt time to change it. I think i've only changed it once mid-season but i don't plow that much just 37 averaged sized driveways that are all close by.
  3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I change my trans fluid at the begining of each season. I do a trans fluid flush and replace the filter. The gear oil in your truck is synthetic. JMO I would check at every OLF for any water contamination. If fluid doesn't look extremely clean replace it. Better safe than sorry. Otherwise replace it according to your maintenance schedule. Don't forget the transfer case fluid, Same rules apply. Use the severe duty schedule for your vehicle. I change the plow pump oil annually.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I change the fluids in the transmission (filter too), axles, lift pump and transfer case at the end of snow season. I don't want them to go through the summer dirty. I change the oil at like 2000 miles because the truck works hard and most miles are with the plow on. Make sure you have a big add on transmission cooler, this will save the tranny's life. Check all the fluids and fill it up with gas before a big storm so you are ready to roll. Putting gas in during raging storm at 3am is not what I like to do.
    Carry extra fluids with you so if you need to top off stuff at fuel stops you have it handy.

I do all my own wrenching, except tires, transmission rebuilds and wheel alignments. A heated garage will save your sanity too.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2004
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i do my service at the end of the season trans,diffs,transfer case, doing oil change as needed then i service the plow in the fall
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I do have a large tran cooler from the factory along with tran temp gauge,so far have it has not gone past 175 degrees.

Regards Mike
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You should be set then. The new transmissions scare me(all brands) anymore. I have had a few of the new Ford tranny's die under me. Never had that problem from the old c-6 / 3spd. Heat kill-em quick and they ain't cheap to have rebuilt either.