1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to change edge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HD61CUIN, Dec 16, 2002.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

When is a good time...the metal edge has plenty of height to it in relation to the mold board. The edges are rounded, no longer square so I dont get the full 8'6 on the ground...probably 8' total minus the rounded edges. Overall the edge is about 5''-6" tall

2. rec067

rec067 Member

I center the blade and drop for a 1/2 mile or so on the dark deserted freeway and grind it flat again.:D

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

on some plows you can turn the edge end to end, try this to get it to wear evenly.
    also on some you can turn it upside down.

4. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Why does the mfgr. (Fisher for example) not drill the holes to allow for the edge to flip and give that much extra use from it. Heck, my tractor's blade has that feature. All that comes to mind is extra sales for the mfgr. by wasting that steel attached to the trip-edge.

5. Sno

Sno Senior Member

rec067,

Does that really work?

I'm also noticing a reduction in height, which turns out to cause problems unhooking the Boss plow.

This could be the problem with wearing no shoes.

Blade wore 3x as quick.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Roger Dodger, I'm not sure this answers your question but... I talked to a Fisher rep when I was looking at the new plows this year. Apparently the placement of the holes in the edge is in response feedback from users like towns and highway depts.

7. rec067

rec067 Member

sno

Yup, it is not perfect just helps to take the center closer to level with the outer edges. did this for three years and a meyes plow. Brand new boss has not needed an adjustment yet. Risk, watch or your speed, road surface and I always do it with no traffic period

8. procare1

procare1 Junior Member
    from iowa

Snow Way

good to hear some of the advice i have a Snow way plow and with the extra down pressure i will have to change a cutting edge middle of the year if i run it this way all the time. How long does everyone typically see a cutting edge last.

9. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

The edge on my Meyer is worn more on one side than the other, anybody know why that could be?

10. Ben

Ben Member

Sno, I have a Boss that I have never used the shoes on and my edge is not wearing any faster. Could your edge be made by a bad run of steel? How old is your plow? Mine is 3 years old and I have not replaced the edge yet. Good luck Ben

11. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

little green guy: this happens to all my plows. It seems that 85% of my plowing is done angled to the right so the blade wears uneven. Other than that i don't really know why

12. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Ben,
    I'm almost sure I need the load boosters or something. My V Boss is wearing a smile on each blade. Forward V must be wearing the edges and Back V must be wearing the center??... All I can figure.

As Far as I know, there is no adjustment, just 15.5" on the set up.

Maybe the front end is squatting too much.

:confused:

13. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

call me crazy

I know nobody uses the shoes and there use is ridiculed but wont the shoes help the edges of the cutting edge from wearing unevenly( on the ends ) ?

14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Re: Snow Way

I have no idea how many hours it translates to, and with the difference in number of events and length of routes it's hard to make comparisons, but I got almost two years on our first Sno-Way edge. As the route grew I got down to about a year per edge with steel. Urethane looks like it's going to last 5-6 years at this point. I don't know how much you're looking at for wear, but you can run that edge until it is almost down to the leg of the channel it bolts to. You can save money on edges by using 3/ X 6 T1 flat stock. T1 is used for wear plates on excavating equipment and should be available from a steel supplier. You will have to burn bolt holes in it, it's too hard to punch or drill.you earn

15. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

All depends on what your plowing, If your scaping down to bare pavement then your going to wear the ege out much faster.
    I'm on my 2nd season with my Western MVP edge & I can see it lasting a few more years. It's almost impossible to scrape down to bare pavement arround here unless your de-icing & we get a LOT of snow. The pavement is most always the first to ice over so were usually scraping over a thin layer of ice.

16. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Simply put all steel edges will end up with a mile, but urethane will not. It wears evenly across the length of the edge. The exception is a v plow. To many variations that will cause some higher outer and inner edge wear.
    Dino