1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when to apply salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Landscapes8988, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

hey guys we have been plowing for years and would only salt when requested. This year we took on 2 contracts that require us to salt at our discretion or when they call.

I am wondering if you all could help me with the best times to salt. I mean i know we will salt after plowing but should we be pre treating before snow events? or what about when the pavement is wet and then we drop below freezing at night..

example: Its been snowing lightly all day. Pavement is just wet temp is 30 degrees. should we salt tonight or in the morning? Just looking for your techniques. We all know salts getting pricy and hard to come by.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I would base service off of what your contract spells out.
  3. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

IMO preventing the ice is easier then melting it. That being said no one wants to pay for double salt. I usually lightly pretreat walkways main drives etc. then go back and salt about three hours before it's open to make sure time to fully melt all the Ice. I'm sure you will get 20 diff answers from 20 diff guys but that is how I have done it past couple years. Adjust due to complaints
  4. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Agreed. Not all properties are willing to pay for a pre treat, as well as a post treat.
  5. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

Hopefully built "ice watch" billable time if is at your desecration for salting. Nothing worse than driving to property to check conditions, not have to salt and have the trip cost you money in fuel etc.
  6. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

If your responsible for "slip & Falls" salt all the dam time
  7. snowcommander

snowcommander Junior Member

I have a contract where we use over 280 ton at one industrial site, and that's just for the roads. They're motto is "No one gets hurt today", so we salt before, during, and after. We're suppose to get 2-3in this afternoon for our first accumulation of the year and we'll be pre-treating most of the plant. But like others said, it's probably something you should clarify with your contract supervisor.
  8. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

we usually do the same thing since our bigger lots are lot included. I think its a bit harder to judge when your actually paying for the salt then charging the customer. guys will kind of know how much they can get away with before a customer will complain about a salt bill. easy for some guys to just throw salt and charge the customer. anymore than 1-3cm and pretreating won't do much, the salt can only melt so much. it also depends on if it's a high traffic area where you can throw salt and the cars will help melt it the snow.
  9. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Do you guys salt the entire property or just problem areas?
  10. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

sidewalks salt during and after the storm,entire lots usually after the plowing is done
    if it rains then freezes we will salt