1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When to advertise?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by martyman, Sep 19, 2006.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Hi guy's again, I've been on here for a few years...I use a Jeep Rubicon and this Year I have a nice Myers Poly plow, so I'm hoping to do more contracts than last year. Last year I had around 55 and I would like to try and do 80 tymusic I'm looking for some advise on when is a good time to post ads...I don't want to be too early and I don't want to be too late...Around November my local paper is literally packed with guy's advertising and I get lost in the shuffle and very few calls. I was thinking about using the postal service, has anyone used that and did it work? Last year I had a problem with one customer that I split the payments, her cheque bounced :redbounce and I would like to try and force everyone to pay the full amount up front, but I'm weary that people will not sign the contract.

2. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

I start about now. I like to let the second homeowners know about my services, a lot of people want their cottages plowed and shoveled when they arrive.
    Good luck this year!
    Mike

3. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

I am just north of you in Barrie, we started our mailings last week of September. As for signing contracts, You are right I think people around here would balk at paying 100% up front. I ask for half at signing and the other half in two equal payments post dated for Jan 1st and feb 1st. That way if anything bounces you have covered most of it and you can stop service. I charge $25 service fee for NSF cheques and suspend service until payment in full including NSF Fee is received and cleared. So far in 4 years I have never gotten a bad cheque and never had anyone balk at the arrangement.

Hope that helps.

4. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

this is my first year plowing and i posted three pull tab fliers at local grocery store (just looking for 5or6 cust) checked today no one has even grabed one of tne tabs its been two weeks am i being to impatient :redbounce

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Probably. Put out a couple more flyers. Wait till after the first snowfall. Be ready to tell some of them - sorry, but I'm full up. Learn how to say "No".

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I started in August securing commercial accounts and lining up mowing customer's for plowing. But if it's new customer's you are going after I would advertise NOW! and flood the market with your name.

7. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

If you have 50 or so why would you want more when it sounds like you are a 1 man show. Even if your only doing driveways thats a lot of accounts.to take care of.
    Mike

8. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

what..........50 im confused?

9. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Sorry his thread steted he had 55 accounts last year and wanted to do more this year.
    Mike

10. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

no my fault thought that was directed at me