1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

when they want a PROFESSIONAL!!!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by rusty gmc, Nov 14, 2003.

1. rusty gmc

rusty gmc Junior Member
    from maine

HI guys, while still trying to figure my bids out, i thought i would relay an interesting comment a fellow contractor said to me the other day.both he and i were bidding on the same contract at an association here in town. all the bids came in and apparently i was NOT the lowest bidder,but had more to offer in the way of services,i.e. shoveling,snowblowing,etc for about the same as 2 of the 5 other bidders. well, word gets around that i must have lowballed the association to score such a contract and one day one of the rejected over-priced bidders rolls up in his shiny-new 3/4 ton, 12 ft v blade, chevy hemi powered,power-stroke,dura-max,duallie,4 door,quad steer,dump bed,lift kit ,strobe lights and 2-way dispatched snow plow rig from hell and laughs at me in my 1985 305 powered 4 speed gmc 1/2 ton flat bed with a 7.5 fisher and, god forbid,MANUAL HUBS!...he says,from the comfort of his climate-controlled truck, "when they want a PROFESSIONAL, they'll call me"! now, hey,i understand the frustration of losing a bid,but in my opinion,the truck doesn't make the professional, the professional makes the truck, does anyone else out there plow commercially with a truck older than mine?

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I do:D

I have 82 and 83 Dodge pickups. One has a slant 6 and they are both manual trannies. I put manual hubs on both trucks;) .

Not to many creature comforts, just fewer things to go wrong.

All I care is the heater and defrost works.
    Mark K

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I would have said, "don't be expecting a call then.":D

Maybe he just think's he's professional and drives around in his truck just for show.:)

4. rusty gmc

rusty gmc Junior Member
    from maine

thats the good stuff,speedracer!:nod: if parts for my gmc weren't so available at the local parts stores, i'd still be running mopars:cool: (note) i took my wife truck shopping one day, and disappointed by prices we ended up at a local auto parts store.so i asked her,'what would you like dear, bondo or fiberglass?':yow!:

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Just this month, we retired my 1986 F-250 (I made 'em cut it up so no one locally would buy it). I plowed in it right up till the end of last winter.... (although the past two winters it hasn't seen much in the way of any real "work" since I'm tied to the office now). But, I never considered myself anything but a professional - and several others around the snow industry do as well.

So... screw 'em and their fancy dan trucks.... "professional" is a state of mind, and evidenced by how customers perceive our finished product.

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You couldn't have put it better John!:waving:

7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

rusty gmc

PROFESSIONAL :waving:

To me is doing the job ontime & the right way everytime, now that's professional.

Don't fret not having a new rig ;) I've seen more new rigs than I can count smashed up by guys who think they are PROFESSIONAL :nod:

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

it the guy in the truck that matters

i have a 79 f250 not pretty but aleast one color

86 f250 dented wont take my wife out to dinner in it

they do the job
    the customers happy
    this yr im putting a plow on my 98 ram

the guys a sore looser

john

9. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

:p He must read Plowsite. :D Sounds like a page out of the "reaction to lowballers" Apparently in this case you were mistaken for one.

10. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

He was probably the HIGHEST bidder....you have that much invested..you have to pay for it. :eek:

Large overhead = HIGH rates

Remember this::: KISS ( keep it simple stupid )

YES, good reliable equipment and operator will win over a "flashy" truck everytime. :drinkup:

11. apkole

apkole Member

The previous owner of our company put it quite succinctly, " New paint never made any money in snowplowing." Having owned this business for the past 13 years, my experience has been that he knew what he was talking about. Good maintenance of equipment yields consistent service for the customer, no matter the age of the equipment. We still use 1977 Jeeps for some of our work. We replace worn parts, keep the drive train serviced, and they keep right on truckin. Isn't fiberglass great!

Our 5 operating SW48 Bombardier sidewalk plows are late 1960's units which with a little TLC give us good service. Best of all, this equipment is PAID FOR. At $65,000 a copy for new, I can deal with quite a few repair bills. ;)

Andy

Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  12. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a good business philosophy.....

13. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

1976 Dodge 1-ton, good old work girl with less than 50,000
    miles.

Keep in mind we do not have the rust issues that many in the
    east have to deal with.:cool:

14. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

I have seen a few of them "shiny-new 3/4 ton, 12 ft v blade, chevy hemi powered,power-stroke,dura-max,duallie,4 door,quad steer,dump bed,lift kit ,strobe lights and 2-way dispatched snow plow rig from hell" but only on sunny days and never out at 3am with a foot on the ground and more coming. :salute:

15. rusty gmc

rusty gmc Junior Member
    from maine

i only hope i see mr. shiny new plow rig from hell stuck in a snowbank somewhere.IF i stop to help,...it will only be to tell him he needs a PROFESSIONAL to pull him out:p

16. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

professional...what does it mean?

to me, getting it done right...the first time.

if that so called 'plow contractor' took the time to stop and assume what you bid, then he is a putz. forget about him...if he spent more time worrying about his biz and not yours, he might have gotten the contract.

like john allin says...the only way you lose a bid is if the other guy was better than you.

brian

17. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Hell, When I started I 'Pushed' a rusty blower! Talk about bottom of the food chain.....LOL!

But with that rusty snowblower and the aptly named '77' ('77 F-150)- We would hear "The job you guys do is f@#*in' incredible!" - Just because we would cut the edges of the customers drive with the blower after we plowed.

Professionals: Talk the talk - Then walk the walk

Allow me to step down from my soapbox.......

18. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

I don`t even want people like that as neighbors. With that type of attitude the customer probrably heard a liteny of BS about how much his equipment cost`s.... Good, I wouldn`t be surprised if he looses a lot of other accounts. Professionals don`t say such egotistical statements , instead a professional will remain professional and people gravitate to characters they feel confident with rather than intimidated with all the fancy toys.

19. rusty gmc

rusty gmc Junior Member
    from maine

WELL SAID!...after plowing this last big storm,all of our customers were very pleased that we were able to keep them open during the storm. i was happy that the ol' gmc was able to do it without having to resort to the back up rig. the back up rig,is a snowblower!:sleeping:

20. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Rusty gmc - that guy is a total immature jackass. Surprised he gets any business at all with that kind of attitude...regardless, YOU got the account not him. hehe

Do us a favor and get some good pictures, if you ever see him in a jam out on the roads. He'd really love that huh?

Best of luck to you this plowing season!

Michele