1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When the snow starts to melt??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FeelLikeANumber, Feb 9, 2007.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

When the snow starts to melt a bit and temps get around 15-20 degrees do you guys run your route like a normal plow session and clean up the slush on driveways and parking lots or do you just leave them and let the snow just melt off eventually. I realize some people have it in the contracts to "clean up" commercial lots and some people may request it. But do you just go around and clean up the driveways just assuming they want it done? If so, do you bill them the normal amount for the clean up or just like half price since there isnt as much snow? I know it sounds kind of stupid to ask but i just dont want my customers getting mad because there driveway isnt completely cleaned off.

thanks for the help.

2. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Good question cant wait for the answers :bluebounc

3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I scraped over my driveway this morning and it's bare blacktop this afternoon..............Ain't doing it for anyone else.

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i second that no payup no plow!!!!!!!!!

5. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

on my comm. lots i do follow clean ups an charge for it,charge about have of plowing cost///money is payup

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No. This is part of planning before the snow starts falling. You consider runoff of what you plow so it's not flowing across the driveway and drains naturally away from the house and other stuctures. You wouldn't plow anyway, as there is nothing to plow. The snow is melted. If anything, now it's frozen into ice.

7. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I don't do a clean up plowing for any of my clients (I only do residential). I just make sure I keep an eye on the radars to time the last push with the end of the majority of snow. I make multiple pushes in a bad storm, but once I leave I'm done. I only go back if they call me and request a second salting of the drive.

8. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

I GUESS THATS WHY I GOT THE BUSINESS AN OTHER DONT IN MY AREA..

IT SNOWED AN WHT U GONNA DO W THE SNOW THEY DROVE ON BEFOR U PLOWED...LET IT MELT AN FREZZE...OVER AN OVER AGAIN ?

I DONT WANT TO BE SUED CAUSE IM TO LAZY TO GO FINAL CLEAN UPS...JEZZZZ:gunsfiring:

9. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

thanks for all the input. I guess it really is more of a personal preferance. Once again it kinda sounds like something I should just go over with the customers and see how they feel. I personally dont like the look of all the slush on the grounds but if they dont want to pay the price for clean up, I guess there's nothing else you can do but let it melt and then freeze back over. I've only got 2 or 3 customers that would probably pay more for the extra attention and I guess I'll just have to talk it over with them. So far there have been no complaints so I guess I'm doing alright. Thanks again.

10. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I've got some that get cleaned up & some that don't. The ones that don't claim they are on are on a pretty tight budget. Right!!! I asked them what happened to the money from only plowing 3 times last year? :dizzy:

My shopping centers & daycares want every bit of snow off there asap. Too much of a liability if someone slips.

11. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

I do what my customer wants!
    They know the prices for my services,, and I charge for it.
    So I do what they want!
    Makes them feel in control of their money spent.

12. Multiple Pushes

If you're plowing "with a storm" and make multiple clearings of drives or lots, do you charge for each time you go back, once for all and make it worth your while, flat fee for all season or what ?

Here, we seldom get a snow that lasts more than long enough to dump 6" max. BUT, once every 10 yrs. or so, we'll get a 12"-16" snow where it snows 24 hrs. straight. People here aren't used to paying for plowing "thru or with the storm" so what should I do when the big one comes again ? I an be emailed direct crayls@orvcomm.com

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The best way I've found to handle that situation is to bill for the total amount of snow pushed for a 24 hour period. Say you pushed 6" on one place. The next time you pushed the same place, there might be 8". The last time, is a "clean up", for which you charge $20. The total plowed was 14" plus the clean up. So your charge is for plowing 14" plus the clean up. You and the customer will have agreed on what pushing 14" of snow will cost. Whether it's done all at once or over several pushes is up to you. Now, if the customer wants to control when it's plowed, then charge for each time you push there. Seasonal accounts are a different story. You will have to have an agreement on how often the snow gets plowed as they will want you there every couple of inches, since they've "already paid for it".

14. go plow

go plow Senior Member

my truck doesnt run on (FREE)