1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

When should I put my snow tires on??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Dec 1, 2004.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I just recently bought 3 sets of Cooper MSR snow tires for my 2500 Suburban, 2500 pickup and my 1500 pickup. I am still running my summer tires on all 3 of my trucks. Last year I waited right up until the day it snow and I spent lots of time changing tires on 3 trucks. I already have my snow tires mounted and balanced on steel wheels. My question is if I put them on in the next 2 days, am I going to be putting them on to early? I struck a deer last night (ran right over it) with my Suburban (broke only the license plate hold and twisted the license plate) and I have to have it put on a lift to check for signs of under carriage damage, so I thought while it was on the lift I would have the tires just put on then. Thank You

2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I would say put the tires on the day before you think it is going to snow. Just look at the past history and the radar map. You might miss it by a week or two but that is better than spending time changing tires when you could be plowing snow making cash....

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

he should already have snow. i put mine on last week. i also have the coopers.

4. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I dont have any snow yet up here yet. I am at the top of Lake Winnipesaukee and between Red Hill and Ossipee Range. I dont think I have seen any flurries yet. When I was in Concord before Thanksgiving, I know it snowed there and stuck.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I put mine on in mid-October (studded Cooper M&S).

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

If they are not "studded" tires then I would have them on and be ready to go. Also, are these trucks >daily< drivers ? If not, then ,again....I would have them on and be ready.

7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i was just saying you should have, just like i should have snow. but this year is off to a laaaate start.